1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with disc playback on LG RH7500

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by Germc, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Germc

Germc Guest

I have a LG RH177 DVD record and lately I have been experiencing problems playing discs. It began with the picture freezing for a few seconds during playback and has now progressed to not recognizing some discs. It displays "Unknown Disc Type". It will not happen with all discs and can be either movie DVD's or recorded discs. It developed further last night into trying to format a recorded disc when it was inserted. Has anyone any idea on the possible cause of this issue and if it is repairable. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Ger

2. Germc

Germc Guest

3. HIGHWIRE

HIGHWIRE Member

I have the same problem did you get yours sorted??

4. tonymitch

tonymitch Member

In desperation - I Cleaned all the dust out of the DVD drive - carefully with a large (8 or 10) artists squirrel hair paint brush and an airblast on the lens area - results are amazing! you undo the 7 screws holding the top on then the 2 screws holding the plastic top on the drive (it also clips at the back) and clean our all the accumulated dust - put it back and turn it on.

It seems to me that much of the air that is sucked out the back comes in through the dvd drive aperture- depositing its dust there as it goes through.

If anyone else tries this please post and let us know how you get on!

5. HIGHWIRE

HIGHWIRE Member

Thanks will take to bits tonight.
    Strange things are going on at the moment.
    A disc that I made yesterday on the RH7500 wont play on the RH7500 but will play on my PC.
    Then I pop in a Film you know a real one and it wont find it it says unknown disc. Even rejects music CD.
    But next it will start to play other discs that I recorded hope the dust is the answer.
    Thanks agian
    Alistair

6. Germc

Germc Guest

I used a disc cleaner on my recorder. The end result is that it worked fine but I had to run the cleaner disc about 6 or 7 times before it managed to clean all the dust and dirt off the heads. Unit is working fine now so no need for further surgery at this stage.

7. HIGHWIRE

HIGHWIRE Member

Took it to bits last night gave it a blow out.Not much changed.
    What type of cleaning disc did you use?
    My machine rejects the scotch brand.
    Anyway sorted a problem with DVDs from shop.
    Make a copy on PC the copys play great.

8. tonymitch

tonymitch Member

I didn't use a cleaning disc just an artists paint brush. the dust sticks to the hairs wipe them off and get another brushful.... took me about an hour just to clean all the dust out - the symptoms of mine were the same as described - unknown disc (in my case on all bought ones) and 'formatting' all finalised discs recorded on the RH7500 as well as 'unknown disc' on many 'part-recordsd' discs. I also had many recording failures.

You need to remove all the dust otherwise when it starts up the remaining dust will make a dust cloud in the drive!! it just takes time and patience! - If it's dusty clean it - the more dust you remove the better!

I've never used any cleaning disc and dont think it would help?