1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem With DVD Burner Just Sits There

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by raryke, Feb 7, 2005.

1. raryke

raryke Member

Ive only been using my Sony burner since christmas and all was working fine but then it started i just couldnt get past the writing lead in phase, so i thought my burner just went bad so i went out and bought a new lite on burner nope same problem. I am connecting through a usb 2.0 port and my burner is inside a metal external case(for internal burners to work external). Ive used nero,dvd decrypter, and clone dvd just to name a few but still nothing. Sometimes if i keep trying over and over it will work then i can keep burning my isos so basically i have a bunch of isos sitting on my desktop waiting for the day it works and i can burn all of them but then i go to try another day same thing happens its getting really irritating. Also sometimes when in the writing lead in phase the burner will make the sound of reading then go off then come back and just keeps increasing speed and sounds like its gonna explode but still nothing happens it just sits there. Any ideas please post them thank you.

Some Specs
    E-machines m5312 note book
    galaxy metal gear box w/ lite on dvd burner inside
    sony drive was in the same box
    windows xp home using dvd decrypter,nero,clone dvd

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

have you tried different usb ports. can you try on another computer but doesn't have to be a laptop to see if problem follows or not

3. raryke

raryke Member

Yes my laptop has 3 different ports tried them all im getting a new actual desktop pc this weekend that ill be able to try it out on. I also tried removing windows service pack and that didnt help anything keep posting if you hve any other ideas Thanks

4. ddp

can you try on a friend's computer?? is there a fan in the case & is it spinning??

Last edited: Feb 7, 2005
  5. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Did your first burner do exactly the same thing as your liteon?

6. raryke

raryke Member

No not at first my old sony worked perfectly then all the sudden it started acting up like my liteon which is why i went out and bought the liteon then installed it same thing was wrong right out of the box thats why im thinking its a program or something or maybe something is wrong with the box the burner is in. Keep Posting Thanx

7. ddp

might be external case is causing problem if happened with sony & has same symptons

8. raryke

raryke Member

Im almost ready to pay someone to solve this problem.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2005
  9. raryke

raryke Member

yes thats what i am beginning to think as well but as of right now i have no other way to test the drive. But if its the case how come it works sometimes and makes it past the writing lead in and burns sucessfully and then keeps working. Im gonna try a system restore see what happens, And no there is now fan in the case but the burner makes noises like its working somtimes even very loud not normal sounds like its spinning the dvd-r 500 mph but like i said still cant get past writing lead in.

10. raryke

raryke Member

Alright guys i just hooked up the burner to my new desktop PC and tried to copy a music cd which wouldnt work before and well.... It worked perfectly i dont think it ever worked that well. Now im really confused first i thought it was the box but now i have no idea my laptop needs the burner cause my new pc already has one what to do what to do. Post any ideas Thanks

11. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Scratch everything I just said. Didn't realize you PLUGGED your USB 2.0 External Burner into your new PC and it worked. Is this correct?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2005
  12. ddp

uninstall burning software, defrag than reinstall burning software

13. raryke

raryke Member

Just got it to work when it was just sitting there at the writing lead in phase i hit the restart button and rebotted the system without ever turning the burner off then when windows reloaded it worked but i dont know if its going to keep working good news is all isos on my desktop are done and burnt once again ill keep posted.

14. ddp

good & cross your fingers that it stays that way

15. raryke

raryke Member

Alright guys stopped working again and repeated the process as before works again maybe it just has to be connected when you boot up the pc i dunno but anyways thanks for all the help

16. ddp

ran into that problem with my laptop drive on some computers that i have to do a restart before the computer properly sees my drive