1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem with dvd decryptor

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by md2277, Aug 11, 2004.

1. md2277

md2277 Member

I ripped the dvd but I don't have any .dvd files on my hard drive to make my dvd backup?

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Where did decrypter put your destination folder at and what mode did you rip in?

3. md2277

md2277 Member

not sure what you mean my "what mode" I'm new i was useing dvdxcopy and just thought I would try something else

4. md2277

md2277 Member

I was in the write mode and I went to iso-->read mode but didn't have a .dvd file

5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

When you rip with decrypter it will create a destination folder unless you change it and assign one to it yourself. You can't rip in iso write mode, that is to burn. You must rip in file, IFO, or ISO read mode. I prefer file mode, I don't burn with decrypter, just rip.

Decrypter will only burn ISO files, so if you plan to burn with it you must rip in ISO mode. It will not compress or edit so if your source video is over DVD5 you must use another app for this, example-DVDShrink-another excellent freebie.

One other thing, please don't double post, it is against forum rules, someone will get around to you sooner or later. Double posting creates confusion and wastes other's time. No one gets paid to do this so please be patient.

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

md2377,

Welcome to our little Club :)

Let me see if I can be of some help,

Without anything on your HD you didn't rip anything.

Just to make sure though, open DVD XCopy and look at the address where it says "Temp. folder". Being that it is a temp folder you probably don't have anything there. You stopped things in mid-stride so to speak.

Here's a little something to help you understand about "ripping" a DVD.

Let's try to answer the question, "Why do I have to backup to my Hard Drive (HD) ?"

Think of it like you're making a Peanut butter and Jelly sandwich. Everything you need is in one place, the cupboard. All your DVD files are in one place, the original DVD.

You need a place to put all your ingredients, the Bread, Peanut butter and the Jelly - so that you can assemble them into a sandwich, you use the kitchen table. You need a place to put all the *IFO, *BUP and *VOB files you are taking from the original DVD, you need to assemble them into a VIDEO_TS folder OR you need to put them all together into an *ISO image, you need a place to work, you need the HD.

You assemble your sandwich putting your Peanut butter and your Jelly into two pieces of bread. When you are finished you can one of two things. First, you can leave all the "Fixens" on then table to make another sandwich sometime later OR, you can put it all away and have your table clear again. In DVD backup, we needed the HD to lay out all the IFO, BUP and VOB files and then to assemble them into a folder called your VIDEO_TS folder OR to put them all together onto an ISO image. When you are finished you can do one of two things. First, we could leave them on the HD to make another backup DVD later OR we can have them in a temporary folder to be deleted and have our HD space clear again.

So, back to our original question - If you want to do a backup of an original DVD you'll have to backup your DVD to your HD in order to work on it to make your backup disc.

You can copy a backup copy (copy a copy) "on the fly" (without involving your HD) because it's already decrypted and processed to fit on a single disc.

Now that you know why, you can forget about that nasty old question and you can follow the bread crumbs back through the forest till you arrive safe and sound back in your own little bed. :)

Goodnight now and pleasant dreams :p)

.IFO files = Information files
    .BUP files = More information files
    .VOB files = Movie files
    ISO image = A single block of information holding all the information, audio and video of the movie. About the only thing you can do with an ISO image (without the help of an entirely different program is to burn it to a disc. This block of information cannot be opened to allow access to what's inside without another program to do so, i.e. ISO buster

some extra info. - DVD XCopy will do what we call a "One touch transcoding" backup. It takes more than one mousie click though. We have other programs (from now on we just call programs = proggys") that will do the job with less clicks of your mouse allow you more flexibility for editting, etc. and argueablly will produce a better quality backup and, are totally, FREE of cost, PERIOD !

If you wish to find out more, let us know -

cheers,

Pete