1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with EAC/LAME

Discussion in 'Audio' started by celticcmr, Dec 10, 2005.

1. celticcmr

celticcmr Member

Any help here. I am using EAC v0.95 beta 3 with LAME 3.97b2. I encode at -v0 now (use to be -alt-preset extreme). I've done something to screw it up. I used the guide on afterdawn to set it up the first time and now after I deleted everything and reinstalled. The problem I am having is that as EAC rips the CD into WAV files and then LAME starts to encode it does not complete all of the songs. By this the WAV (yes I have the check mark to delete after completion marked) stays and a wierd named mp3 - BTMP!23.mp3 exists. In the past the last step was this file got renamed and the WAV was deleted.

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

hmmm, that sounds pretty strange. after EAC rips the tracks to wave, does the dos-like LAME window pop up and appear to encode? When it does not complete the encoding, what are the mp3 files like? Are they 0kb, or does LAME stop encoding half-way through. Have you tried uninstalling EAC and setting it up again from scratch? Are you sure you have EAC pointed to where the lame.exe file is?

3. celticcmr

celticcmr Member

Yes the window pops and the wierd file is actually in the dos window it shows it as copying to that file. The wierd file is a perfect MP3 of the wave Bit rate and time, but has none of the tag data. I deleted and reinstalled EAC (twice actually since I did not delete the reg entries the first time). Resysnched the drives, etc. Same problem. I used EncSpot last night and previously I was using LAME 3.96. I have also tried to use two steps create the wav and then batch them through for MP3 (Tools-->Compress WAVs) same situation. I forget to mention this happens on a random basis some tracks are fine. Not that it matters but here is one of the file names Atmp527!2.mp3.

4. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

Are any of the cd's your ripping copy protected or severely scratched?

5. celticcmr

celticcmr Member

No the CDs are fine. EAC seems to be working fine on the extraction of the WAV file. Then LAME pops and that seems to be fine. In the LAME window you see the BTMP!23.mp3 file and that's what it says its encoding. When it finishes and closes and you have explorer open both files exist (WAV and mp3)but no renaming and deletion occurs. Then if you look at the ID3 tag (using dbPoweramp)everything except the name is correct. Track, Artist, comments.

6. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I would try finding an earlier version of LAME...perhaps the new ones have some bug in it that is interfereing with your computer...

look for 3.92 or 3.93

7. celticcmr

celticcmr Member

Any ideas where. Before this was messed up I used 3.95. I looked but could only find files ending in .ze No idea what that is.

8. celticcmr

celticcmr Member

Well not sure what it was. But when I updated tot he latest version of LAME and used my profile which was based on the Chris Mayden in the guide here at Afterdawn it was a problem and so was the original Chris adapter1 profile. When downloading the lates EAC it gave me that option of downloading the Hydrogen audio presets so I did and that profile is working.

9. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

I still use Lame 3.90. I will need some convincing to switch to 3.97

10. Rikoshay

Rikoshay Regular member

Well, I used CDex for my CD-Rips, and I did notice that anything above 3.97.1 was very buggy, because most of them are betas. Try going for v3.96.1, it was the last official build from the creator on the sourceforge website, and has worked very well for me.

You can get the .zip from here: http://www.free-codecs.com/download_soft.php?d=49&s=22

I don't know if this link is allowed, since it's a direct link to the file, but it was the only place I found it.

After gettin this, just copy the file [bold]lame_enc.dll[/bold] to where ever that program accepts it's plug-ins and put it there, restart the program, and there you go.

The only problem I heard of is that the encoding crawls when setting the quailty to 0 (q=0 in CDex, and have confirmed that it does crawl). I found no real difference in sound when just placing the quality on high (q=2), but I don't know how well you hearing is to notice. I personally just encode at 128 CBR at q=2 J-Stereo, and it comes out just as good as the CD.

You could also try CDex if you wanted. It seems to do all the same things, like check for errors and try to correct them while encoding, and has all the presets that this program has, and it comes with LAME v3.96.1 Stable as well.

Hope that helps! Ta!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2005
  11. djscoop

djscoop Active member

Its just a link to LAME, so of course allowed. not like its pirated software or anything

Oh no no no no it doesn't...VBR is numerous times better than CBR. For best quality, use at LEAST 192 kbps with VBR.

pretty much all the rippers have their own error correction and all that, but no one does it better than EAC.

12. Rikoshay

Rikoshay Regular member

Well, I'll take your word for it. But I still want to have small sizes for my files, that's why I use 128kbps. I'll check out EAC to see if it's worth it, but I like CDex because I can record from analogue and get a .mp3. How much should I allow it to fluctuate in order to keep a decent file size?

13. djscoop

djscoop Active member

14. J1mB0b

J1mB0b Member

I suggest looking at the EAC_Quickstart_Manual => http://users.pandora.be/satcp/

You have selected a couple of options that are unnecessary, and which could cause difficulties.

Good luck !

15. Rikoshay

Rikoshay Regular member

Well, based upon further examination, I now see the light in using LAME in VBR. I still won't use EAC, but using the --alt-preset standard in CDex works just as good IMO, so I'll be using that from now on.

In a nut-shell, yeah, just set up EAC with the older version of LAME from this link
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download_soft.php?d=49&s=22

Just put the lame.exe in the folder where EAC is located (C:\Program Files\Exact Audio Copy). You should also put lame_enc.dll in there too (just a suggestion) and there you go! That should fix your problem if you haven't already done so.

16. djscoop

djscoop Active member

CDex is decent, I used to use it before I descovered EAC. for the most part it works okay, just don't expect it to rip very well if you have a scratched CD...only EAC can rip CDs that others can't.

17. Rikoshay

Rikoshay Regular member

Well, I tried a scratched CD with both programs, and EAC froze up on me. It did a good job up until there was an error, then it just stopped completely. It could be just user error, but I followed that guide all the way through. I'm just going to stick with CDex until the author brings out a final build later on this year.

18. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

I find EAC rips much quicker when you rip from the ISO image of the CD. It even does scratched ones well. There's also no errors that occur.

19. Rikoshay

Rikoshay Regular member

Well, that's true based on the fact that the image-making process should have removed all scratch errors already. My problem was more of a few bits of data missing from a bad quality copy. Even running EAC didn't solve that problem, and trying to burn a different track froze up the program. Like I said before, when a stable version of EAC comes out, I'll try using it again.

20. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

how badly scratched is the cd your trying to rip? can it be read in a normal cd player?