1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Error 13. AID disk wont boot

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by tah9, Nov 7, 2010.

1. tah9

tah9 Member

Alright I have a modded Xbox with a chip (Xecuter) and error 13 popped up probably about a year ago. Tried reading some threads on this site and others but none really was close to my problem. I got the disk to boot up a couple of times but that didnt help. Tried to replace my dashboard with the one on AID but no luck there. The disk did a few steps and went through the replacement to fast in my opinion. Did a reset and same error 13. I am starting to think my HD is shot but not quite sure, would try hot swap but I dont have a desktop computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

guess you have a philips drive .. error13 is usually related to a certain way they crap out.. others don't agree but my findings over more than 14,000 xbox repairs (or fails) was it only happens with a philips drive connected.. will revert to e12 if the ide cable is pulled out of the drive.. kind of proves it really.

what the error actually is supposed to mean is "dashbord_start_fail_unspecified" .. a general error handler for an unlisted or unexplained fault preventing normal boot.. sometimes a new ide cable cures it. I have also seen this one where the actual ide controller chip was dead... along with it cropping up when a pin on one of the usb ports was folded over touching another... it really is a generic fault handler.

should be able to run the box without a dvd drive with an xecuter chip.. once you get to the chip dash settings (hold white button and boot.. brings up the x live config) enable ftp and then shove a new set of dash files on. guess you will have to look in the xecuter documentation to find out oif your bios version will support that mode of running.. or if you need to hang a surplus dvd or cd drive in temp.

3. tah9

tah9 Member

Yes I do have a Philips drive. So do I power up and wait for the settings to come up and then press and hold the white button? And where do I find new set of dash files? Also what drive do I save them under c: or e:? Have not tried to boot up yet will wait on your response first. Thanks
    Okay tried unplugging the ide cable from the philips drive and still nothing. Even the error code did not change. could not even get the x live config to come up. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I dont know.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  4. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

sometimes the ide controller on the board fails ........ have 4 mobos here all came from philips machines with e13.. ide controller blown in every one.. seems the drive can take out the mobo in certain cases.

hold the white button BEFORE power on .. that should bring up the xecuter dash settings.. just in case they are disabled..

It isn't managing to post at all tho.. so I'm suspecting the ide controller or some other terminal motherboard problem.. these are hard.. check out llammas xbox forums for hardware fix advice. Without actually getting my hands on it this is impossible to diagnose properly.. pull the ide cable from the motherboard completely and see if anything changes.. if not you have to look for motherboard damage or something like that.

These things are getting old now.. strange failures are starting to crop up more and more.. probably easiest to just go and buy a working one and start over... dirt cheap.. I can buy 10 for £60 full working... single ones are £15 .. cash converters ;) Remember the vintage of this machine.. they are from the era of bad caps .. surprising how many have worked so well for so long.. a PC of similar age would now be classed as vintage... unless you are me and restore 486's and the like.

Honest.. when you get an odd hardware failure it becomes uneconomic to waste time and money on them... chances are it's a fruitless mission... If with the ide cable unplugged the error doesn't change to a 7 or a 12 then I would scrap it unless the fault was very obvious.. check under the controller port plugs carefully.. might have a pin bent over in there.. or look for corrosion on the board.. the chip wiring.. new ide cable.. that kind of stuff.. :)

Watch out with it powered and open.. the psu can really wake you up...

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010