1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with extension SVCD.Rip.SBC.wmv

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by johnglyn, Sep 17, 2004.

1. johnglyn

johnglyn Member

After getting a film off Kazaa I found I couldn't play it in WMP, and I have no idea why not. I am very much a newbie, and don't know if I have to convert the file, extract one from it, stick it on a dvd and play it through PowerDVD or what... Can anyone help?!?!?!

All replies are very much appreciated!

2. johnglyn

johnglyn Member

could it be a case of needing codecs? if so, where do I get them?

3. Minion

Minion Senior member

WMV format is "Windows Media video" format so you would have to install the Latest WMV9 codecs which you can get at the Windows Update web site and Look for the WMV9 codecs and see if that helps....

4. johnglyn

johnglyn Member

gave it a go + even tried installing WMP 10, but to no avail. the full file name is open.water.TS.Centropy.SVCD.Rip.SBC.wmv in case this helps in diagnosing the problem... The only other thing I can think of that might be useful is that it starts to play, with no sound or picture and the clock tells me that it is 4hr31min long - which it ain't.

Any other ideas??

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well because WMV is such a Compressed Format it is Quite Possible that the File is corrupted and that is why you can not Play it....

The only things I can think of it try a Freeware program called "ASF Tools" which can repair Corrupted WMV files, that is if they aren"t too corrupted...

The other thing you can try is see if you can get a Program called "Stoik Video Converter" to convert the WMV file to AVI and then encode the AVI file to DVD...
    I have used Stoik on Bad WMV files before and it has worked when no other programs would....

Cheers