1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PROBLEM WITH LG GWA-4166. PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by rob421, Mar 27, 2007.

1. rob421

rob421 Member

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a LG GWA-4166 drive that has problems recognizing DVD's. For example I put in a Verbatim DVD +R 16x disk in the drive and sometimes it states that the maximum burn speed is 8X. When it does this the disk burns improperly (at 8x) and there is a blank spot in it with no data. But when the Drive recogonises it as a 16X disk everything burns fine. I have applied the firmware update provided by HP and the problem still exists. I really do not want to try to crossflash the drive to a GSA-4166 because all that I have read is that it does not work and then I have to buy a new drive. Right now I am throwing away about 25% of the cakepacks that I buy and am trying to avoid that. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. rcm999

rcm999 Regular member

@rob421,
    I can relate to what you're going through. I work in IT for the State of Tennessee and we have a batch of HP/Compaq PCs that came with that drive. Over the past 15 months, we've replaced about 65% of those drives for the same reason. They just die. They're cheaply made and very unreliable. The factory replaced them with the GSA-H21L and those drives have been solid.

I've heard the 4167's are fairly good. But we've had nothing but problems with the 4166. The rep told me that they've had numerous complaints statewide from other agencies and private businesses concerning the 4166.

If yours is under warranty, get it replaced with another model. Sorry to be blunt my friend, but the 4166 has left me and my co-workers very adamant about it. If it's not under warranty and you need to replace it, try to find a BenQ, Plextor, NEC or LiteOn. Those are all solid burners.

Good luck!