1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Madplay from within DVD2SVCD (D2SRoBa Method)

Discussion in 'Audio' started by a440guy, Oct 21, 2006.

1. a440guy

a440guy Member

I'm a newbie trying to put a DivX movie onto a DVD. I followed the procedure in the guide "How to Convert DivX to DVDR with DVD2SVCD (D2SRoBa Method)". The video was fine, but the audio came out very fast.

The audio extracted from the DivX file was fine. (Extracted_audio_1.mpa, an mp3 file, 2-channel, 44100 Hz, 96 kb/s)

Then Madplay was invoked and produced a wav file, but the wave file has only one channel. (Encoded_audio_1.mp2.wav, PCM, 44100 Hz, 16 bits, 1 channel). Here is the entry from the dvd2svcd log file:

Converting MP2 to WAV. Filename: E:\Movies\Extracted_audio_1.mpa
    Executing MADPlay (mp2 to wav). Commandline:
    "C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\MADPlay\madplay.exe" --quiet --output=wave:"E:\Movies\Encoded_audio_1.mpa.wav" "E:\Movies\Extracted_audio_1.mpa"
    Conversion (mp2 to wav) of E:\Movies\Extracted_audio_1.mpa finished.

I am concerned that DVD2SVCD seems to think that the souce file is MP2, and that the output is only 1 channel. The Madplay log says this:

output: no channel selected for dual channel; using first
    error: frame 122791: lost synchronization
    output: stereo output not available; using first channel (use -m to mix)

Finally, DVD2SVCD invokes BeSweet to create an MP2 file:

"C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\BeSweet\BeSweet.exe" -core( -input "E:\Movies\Encoded_audio_1.mpa.wav" -output "E:\Movies\Encoded_audio_1.mpa" -payload -logfile "E:\Movies\Encoded_audio_1.log" )
    Audio conversion of E:\Movies\Extracted_audio_1.mpa finished.

Thi MP2 file, plays at what seems to be 2X speed. I expect that it has something to do with the loss of one channel at the Madplay stage.

QUESTIONS:
    What's causing Encoded_audio_1.mpa to have fast-playing audio?

Is the problem with Madplay?

Where (in DVD2SVCD) do I configure Madplay to tell it that the input file is MP3 and that I want 2-channel output?

2. a440guy

a440guy Member

OK, I must have violated some protocol here because I've been shunned -- no one has replied to my question. Nevertheless, for the sake of the next person who may have found this thread by Googling, I'm posting this follow-up:

I never found the cause of the problem, but I have a work-around.

The fast-playing audio problem is caused by the fact that the WAV file has only one channel. As mentioned in other threads, BeSweet needs an input file with 2 channels. If the input file has only one channel, then the audio comes out at double speed.

So, the problem becomes: madplay is producing a wav file with only one channel, even though the input to madplay has two channels. I found that if one uses the -S switch for madplay, the output will be two channels. My work-around is this:

Start the conversion process and wait until the video encoding starts. Open a command window and CD to the output folder (the folder where Extracted_audio_1.mpa resides. Re-process the audio files by re-issuing the madplay and besweet commands, but use the -S switch on madplay (copy these commands from your log file):

"C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\MADPlay\madplay.exe" -S --quiet --output=wave:"E:\Movies\Encoded_audio_1.mpa.wav" "E:\Movies\Extracted_audio_1.mpa"

C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\BeSweet\BeSweet.exe" -core( -input "E:\Movies\Encoded_audio_1.mpa.wav" -output "E:\Movies\Encoded_audio_1.mpa" -payload -logfile "E:\Movies\Encoded_audio_1.log" )