1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with older xbox dvd drive.Please HELP!!

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by llooneyy, Feb 2, 2007.

1. llooneyy

llooneyy Member

I have an older modded xbox and recently the dvd drive started not recognizing disks. I purchased an identical replacement drive and installed it. It works fine with my original games, but it will display "unknown" when I try to play my backup game disks. Has any one heard of this problem????
    Please HELP!!!!

And, if I load the original MS dashboard it comes up with a message saying that there is a problem with the xbox and I need to contact customer service. It started displaying this message before I changed the dvd drive.

2. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Interesting problem. I have had first hand experience of this one a few times.

I'm guessing you are in europe/pal region?

The cure I found was to have a play with the jumper on the hdd.. try both master or C/S and see if it makes any difference. If not then replace it in the original position. No joy?? reflash the bios, and maybe reinstall the dash files too. Doesn't take long.

It could be your new drive doesn't like your disks, try a burn of a cd game (if you have a sensible drive, read samsung 605B not a 605f or a tommy..lol) like neighbours from hell/jacked/roller coaster tycoon on a cd. Then a dvd game on a decent quality disk.. or a film, something like that

I believe the bios holds certain info concerning hardware, and even though it's an identical replacement drive it most probably has a slightly different firmware revision/manufacture date which the bios needs to pick up on.

On the error screen there should be a number in the top left corner.. What is it? If there isn't one then you have a 1.0 and the error is 07 which signifies a failing HDD. Depending on the method of failure they will report a fault with the dvd drive when in reality it's the HDD instead. To confirm this unplug the ide cable from the dvd drive, boot and wait for error 12. If you don't get that then the hdd is on it's way out. That or the drive controller is failing (uncommon but it can happen)

3. llooneyy

llooneyy Member

well, i've got the ms dash working again. had to relock the hd (duh). couldn't see the forrest because of the trees.

i dug a little further into the dvd drive problem. i opened both my dvd drives. my old drive was a samsung 605 ver A with a soh-dx1 laser and my new drive is a samsung 605 ver B with a soh-d16 laser. i was told that the 605 ver b with the d16 laser should not have a problem reading backed up disks or dvds. is this correct? does the fact that these drives are not exactly the same make any difference to the software? i've reflashed my bios, but it didn't help. the new drive will read cd-r games but not dvd+r games or movies. i haven't had a chance to try using dvd-r disks yet, but it's next on the list. could it be that easy??? everything i've read says that the 605b should read dvd+r disks without a problem. would it be easier to buy a soh-dx1 laser and replace the bad laser in the original drive?? this last option i looking the most appealing. any input would be greatly appreciated.

4. llooneyy

llooneyy Member

Oh, I forgot, if it helps, I'm located in the USA.