1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with PS3 HD Sound

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by tomd007, Mar 24, 2007.

1. tomd007

tomd007 Member

ive just bought a ps3 (at last!). however my tv has a dvi slot on it so ive bought a dvi-hdmi cable, but i dont get any sound. if bought a hdmi cable and then used a dvi-hdmi adapter, would i still get sound?

2. error5

error5 Regular member

No. The DVI port doesn't carry sound. You still have to use the A/V cable to get sound to your HDTV.

3. tomd007

tomd007 Member

yeh i tried that but dont work. thats why i made this thread . i get no sound bcos my tv has one external source channel and u hav 2 change v input from av to dvi. v only way 2 get both running at v same time is 2 use picture in picture, and that leaves an annoying black box in the screen.

4. DBM_Bones

DBM_Bones Regular member

Post spec's of your TV.

but your TV should have standard phono L/R input. esp as you TV has only DVI, and DVI as said does not pass sound like HDMI does. as it was designed for PC monitors.

if not get a cheep amp and speakers and run your sound via that.
    or better still get a 5.1 amp and 5.1 speakers. as all PS3 games are dolby Prologic II multi channel.

5. tomd007

tomd007 Member

it dont matter. ive got hd sound/video working through a component cable. thnx anyway.