1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with size on 5.02 Divx codec in VirtualDub

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by pennynike, Jun 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kmart

kmart Member

Just to be clear, I *never* change the resolution on my screen to 640x480. I just keep it at whatever it is and hit full screen. All I want to do is crop the black, without cropping any of the image.

Ok, I realized what I wrote before about replacing what I'm cropping with black didn't make any sense, because I want to get *rid* of the black....but still, won't it maintain the aspect ratio, no matter how I crop it?

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Yeah, it should maintain the aspect as you do the resize earlier. But remember the 16* rule or you are begging for trouble.

3. kmart

kmart Member

Arg, I started encoding a 708x304 earlier....but still, there must be a way to do it, since *none* of the divx I've downloaded have black on the sides. There must be a way.

4. kmart

kmart Member

I guess I can just cut 8 pixels from each side instead of 6. I mean, I'm only losing a total of four pixels. Fact is, I'd rather lose 4 pixels if it means getting rid of the black.

So I'm starting over, hopefully for the last time. I'm cropping the sides for a final resolution of 704x304.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2002
  5. kmart

kmart Member

Just wanted to update the thread. I've encoded gattaca at 704x304, after cropping, with DivX 5. It's 875,000 KB. It looks better than the XviD one I did, which turned out to be about 1,300,000 KB. No black edges, very nice.

6. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Thanks for the update and I'm glad it turned out to be OK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.