1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Sony DRU500A not recogizing any discs - all appear blank

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by damack, Jan 17, 2003.

1. damack

damack Member

I'm trying to resolve a problem with my Sony DRU-500A not recognizing any discs at all. After trying a Princo DVD-RW in the drive last night, it failed to read the blank Princo disc, Nero reported the media was not valid. I tried putting in an Optodisc after that, then it said the Optodisc was not valid. I then tried a TDK CD-R and again reported media was invalid. Now it cannot read any CD's at all, not even the Sony software CD that came with the drive. I upgraded the firmware to 1.0 f and after no success with that I un-installed and re-installed all the burning software and ran all of the WindowsXP updates. This drive had been working without any problems for about a month. I had used it regularly with TDK CD-R's and Memorex and Optodisc DVD-RW's. Any help that anyone could offer would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mac

2. coolmidi

coolmidi Member

3. jpd3

jpd3 Member

Damack

Have you managed to resolve your problem? As i'm just about to return my DRU 500 after only a couple of days with the same fault with no chance of getting a replacement for ages. I had been using with Firmware f and the latest Nero, although I did re-install nero to try and cure the long lead out times after writing sa disc.

The only thing I have also noticed I have done wrong is to try and play a DVD created with MyDVD that has a Region 0 code before playing a commercial DVD to set the region control, Sony has a Note to this effect.

Please feedback ASAP, or it may be too late

4. amanojacu

amanojacu Guest

I had the same problem the other night. I spent about 2 hours and made 5-6 calls to sony without any improvement. I finally got an RMA#, but to do so I had to take the DVD drive out of my computer to get the serial number. After I got off the phone w/ the tech I decided to reconnect my drive and it worked perfectly. Strange. Give it a shot.