1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Speed Settings with Nero

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by downsince, Mar 8, 2007.

1. downsince

downsince Member

Would like to burn an avi file to DVD-R, with nero 7. Evrey body tells me it is best to burn at 4x which is ok, but my problem is when I get to the last stage of burning my DVD the option for burning speed only goes to 6x? I have change the DVD nero control speed drive to 4x but still can't get ant lower than 6x when trying to chose speed settings at the last stage of burning a DVD with nero can some one help please

2. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

You shouldnt have any problems burning at 6X.

3. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

I don't know who "everybody" is who tells you that, but "everybody" is talking out of their back office, if you get my meaning. Not all DVD writers are the same. Not all media (disks) are the same either.

These people probably just mean "the slowest speed your writer will allow on the disks you are using". I expect they have older writers.

In the old days, DVD writers were just 1x (one speed) then you got 2x as well, then 4x, and so on. Nowadays you can get a writer with a 20x maximum speed, if you can find the blank disks.

Just as the top speeds have gone up, so the slower speeds have dropped off the bottom of the list. You will have a hard time finding 4x max speed disks anyway.

This belief that very slow speeds are "better" in some way is not altogether true. There are plenty of people around who tell you that slow speeds are best if you want to still read your disks in 10 years time. Some drives, on the other hand, are said to give worse results if you run them at the bottom speed, so who can say?

Just relax, and tell them that 6x is the new 4x.

My writer will go to 16x and I don't get problems with good disks. I have a big stack of Panasonic 8x disks which I got cheap which are fine too.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  4. downsince

downsince Member

Thanks to both for all the info, most appreciated

5. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

I think you guys have the wrong idea of what is the best burning speed. First off..... the disk will be the one that gives you the writing speeds available for it in Nero. Nero will recognize what disk you have and give speeds for that disk. that's why:
    The rule of thumb about burning speeds is to burn at half the rate of the speed of the disk. So if you have 8x disks then burning at 4x should be the best speed...... but even that is not true if your drive and disk are very compatible you can even burn up to the maximum speed of the disk and still get a great burn with high scores in Nero CD/DVD speed burn test! We only use the rule of burning at half the rated speed of the disk as a guide. Many members will just say burn at 4x is safe! that's why Gwendolin told you
    I burn my Taiyo Yuden 8x, DVD+R disks at 8x with great success! And if I want I can even overburn those babies at 16x and still get great scores in the Nero CD/DVD disk quality scan! so burning speeds vary according to the disk and the burner. But I would definitely stick with the MIJ rule (Made In Japan) when it comes to the type of disk to use. Taiyo Yuden, Sony, Maxell, Fuji and others that are MIJ are the best to use. Verbatim is the only exception to this rule as they are top notch but made in Taiwan/Singapore and the only ones other than MIJs that will get close to my burner! Look for the MIJ on the box or spindle before buying..... these disks are the ones that are most recognized by most burners and you'll have a better success rate with them than others brands. buying cheap media will become expensive media when you have to burn the same disk over again because the cheap media didn't last or couldn't be properly written to!