1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Spider Chip

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by Todd513, Dec 26, 2004.

1. K.KEONET

K.KEONET Guest

By the way DOWNCRASH thanks for sticking up for me/I read the tutorial/It seems like Im in the exct same situation as blahhhhhh/Just find out there is a big difference in installation than just putting the E wire in DO location for xboxv1.0 with spider chipv1.1/Dont know full detail yet but as soon as i found out I'll let whoever needs help know

2. screwston

screwston Guest

Hey K.KEONET when you get your xbox running and is working can you let us know. I have a v1.0 xbox and a 1.1 spiderchip too, I just want to know if you can get it to work. Thanks.

3. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

no to be asking a stupid question, but i installed a 1.0 spiderchip before, and i ordered another for a friend, and i started to hear about the 1.1 spider, but do papers come with it telling you what it is.. it didnt say on consolesource.com, but i was just curious. Thanks!

4. voltron

voltron Member

News for all. This was copied directly from spiderchip.com

"14/01/2005:

We received several reports of people who met with many difficulties installing the SpiderChip v1.1.
    on Xbox V1.6 and V1.6B.

We have checked this information and after testing the product ourselves, unfortunately
    found that in fact the installation of the new Spiderchip 1.1 on Xbox V1.6/V1.6B is
    difficult due to the screw and ring not being the proper sizes.
    The size of both is very important to maintain a good pressure on the pogo-pins:
    If the ring is too small then the 2 latest pogo-pins (the pogo-pins the furthest from the screw)
    do not touch the Xbox motherboard, and the Spiderchip won't boot.

We sincerely apologize to all our loyal customers for this mistake.

Spiderchip has already arranged that all resellers are supplied with bags of correct screws and rings(they will be received within 10 days), these will of course be sent to you free of charge.

In the meantime, if you want to install the SpiderChip, please don't tighten the screw too much,
    and use electric black tape to maintain the Spiderchip in good position (like this). This is only a temporary
    solution to solve the problem of the size of the screw and ring for those who want to use it
    right now.

All Spiderchip 1.1 will now be sent with the proper screw and ring.

Thank you very much for your understanding of our situation and once again Divineo apologises for any inconvenience caused by this error."

5. K.KEONET

K.KEONET Guest

i been inform also that the problem w/spider chip is the wrong size ring and incorrect screw. Also for everyone w/spiderchip v.1.1 and xbox v.1.0-1.5 we are now using D wire for DO location.Not the E wire could be a misprint, but as soon as i get my new screw & ring i found out which wire really work.

6. blahhhhhh

blahhhhhh Member

Straight from modchipstore.com
    Me
    I have installed my spiderchip on my 1.3 version xbox and have successfully gotten it to receive power(led light turns on); however, when xbox loads up it tells me to take it in for service. The Cromwell bios is not working for some reaon. Believe me, I have tried everything one could think of to get it to work. I've been to a few forums with many people having the same problem as I do. I know spiderchip just released news that they are sending out new screws and washers which fit the board better but that is not my problem because my chip is receiving power. I believe I have a defective modchip. I would like to be sent a new modchip with working bios please. thank you.

Them
    No, all the spider chips with problems have the LED power on, the power does nothing except exactly what it means (POWER) all the pogo pins are not touching which will be fixed once the new screw is received, there are temporary fixes which you can see on their announcements as well as their newest installation manual
    14/01/2005: Annoucement: http://spiderchip.com/news.html

We received several reports of people who met with many difficulties installing the SpiderChip v1.1.
    on Xbox V1.6 and V1.6B.

We have checked this information and after testing the product ourselves, unfortunately
    found that in fact the installation of the new Spiderchip 1.1 on Xbox V1.6/V1.6B is
    The size of both is very important to maintain a good pressure on the pogo-pins:
    If the ring is too small then the 2 latest pogo-pins (the pogo-pins the furthest from the screw)
    Spiderchip has already arranged that all resellers are supplied with bags of correct screws and rings(they will be received within 10 days), these will of course be sent to you free of charge.
    In the meantime, if you want to install the SpiderChip, please don't tighten the screw too much,
    and use electric black tape to maintain the Spiderchip in good position (like this). This is only a temporary
    solution to solve the problem of the size of the screw and ring for those who want to use it
    right now.
    Thanks

Team Spiderchip has updated their website for all new information on the version 1.1 for the Spiderchip.

15/01/2005:

A PDF version of the tutorial online:
    Tutorial for SpiderChip v1.1 - Installation in XBOX v1.0 to v1.6b - ENGLISH
    Team Spiderchip announces Version 1.1 Spiderchip installation tutorial! Different Install points for version 1.6!

On some newer Xbox motherboards (1.6 and 1.6B) Microsoft has laquered the full motherboard, thus covering some of the holes the SpiderChip uses in installation. You might need to open these holes up a bit to insert and get the full connection.

Also, the SpiderChip version 1.1 has new installation tutorials. See those here:

HOW TO IDENTIFY A V1.1 Spider from A V1.0 Spider

UNPACK > INSTALL* > FLASH CHIP** and ENJOY

* ) solderless installation even in v.1.6/1.6b consoles
    ** ) flash with our enhanced legal Cromwell Bios

Tutorial for SpiderChip v1.0
    Version : XBOX v1.0 to 1.6b
    Lang : English Tutorial for SpiderChip v1.1
    Lang : English Tutorial for SpiderChip v1.0
    Lang : French

Tutorial
    Reflashing the chip
    Lang : English Tutorial
    Reflashing the chip

Me
    ok, i guess I will have to try the temporary solution. But I'm confused on whether I am putting the E or the D wire into the D0 because when spiderchip had the old tutorial it said they had switched the two wires on the new version, but now in their new tutorial it is saying to put the D wire in the D0, not the E wire. Which wire is it? And if it is the D wire, will it work if I solder the wire back on for I had snipped the unneccessary wires like it had said? thank you.

Them:
    Use the current instruction, that is the latest official release so there is no reason to doubt them. Yes you can solder the wire back on, that would work great.

Me:
    Ok, when I pulled the wire out, the tip of the wire chipped off and is stuck in the D0. Can I solder the wire on top of it as long as it is touching the D0 metal ring? thank you.

Them:
    You can either do that, or you can pull the tip if it is small off with some tweezers and use the remainder of the wire to plug in. As long as there is solid contact it will work whether you use solder or a wire.

Me:
    ok, sounds good. I will try it tonight.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Havn't tried it yet but will get back to everyone later when i do.

7. blahhhhhh

blahhhhhh Member

Straight from modchipstore.com
    Me
    I have installed my spiderchip on my 1.3 version xbox and have successfully gotten it to receive power(led light turns on); however, when xbox loads up it tells me to take it in for service. The Cromwell bios is not working for some reaon. Believe me, I have tried everything one could think of to get it to work. I've been to a few forums with many people having the same problem as I do. I know spiderchip just released news that they are sending out new screws and washers which fit the board better but that is not my problem because my chip is receiving power. I believe I have a defective modchip. I would like to be sent a new modchip with working bios please. thank you.

Them
    No, all the spider chips with problems have the LED power on, the power does nothing except exactly what it means (POWER) all the pogo pins are not touching which will be fixed once the new screw is received, there are temporary fixes which you can see on their announcements as well as their newest installation manual
    14/01/2005: Annoucement: http://spiderchip.com/news.html

on Xbox V1.6 and V1.6B.

right now.
    Thanks

Team Spiderchip has updated their website for all new information on the version 1.1 for the Spiderchip.

15/01/2005:

A PDF version of the tutorial online:
    Tutorial for SpiderChip v1.1 - Installation in XBOX v1.0 to v1.6b - ENGLISH
    Team Spiderchip announces Version 1.1 Spiderchip installation tutorial! Different Install points for version 1.6!

On some newer Xbox motherboards (1.6 and 1.6B) Microsoft has laquered the full motherboard, thus covering some of the holes the SpiderChip uses in installation. You might need to open these holes up a bit to insert and get the full connection.

Also, the SpiderChip version 1.1 has new installation tutorials. See those here:

HOW TO IDENTIFY A V1.1 Spider from A V1.0 Spider

UNPACK > INSTALL* > FLASH CHIP** and ENJOY

* ) solderless installation even in v.1.6/1.6b consoles
    ** ) flash with our enhanced legal Cromwell Bios

Tutorial for SpiderChip v1.0
    Lang : English Tutorial for SpiderChip v1.1
    Lang : English Tutorial for SpiderChip v1.0

Tutorial
    Reflashing the chip
    Lang : English Tutorial
    Reflashing the chip

Me
    ok, i guess I will have to try the temporary solution. But I'm confused on whether I am putting the E or the D wire into the D0 because when spiderchip had the old tutorial it said they had switched the two wires on the new version, but now in their new tutorial it is saying to put the D wire in the D0, not the E wire. Which wire is it? And if it is the D wire, will it work if I solder the wire back on for I had snipped the unneccessary wires like it had said? thank you.

Them:
    Use the current instruction, that is the latest official release so there is no reason to doubt them. Yes you can solder the wire back on, that would work great.

Me:
    Ok, when I pulled the wire out, the tip of the wire chipped off and is stuck in the D0. Can I solder the wire on top of it as long as it is touching the D0 metal ring? thank you.

Them:
    You can either do that, or you can pull the tip if it is small off with some tweezers and use the remainder of the wire to plug in. As long as there is solid contact it will work whether you use solder or a wire.

Me:
    ok, sounds good. I will try it tonight.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Havn't tried it yet but will get back to everyone later when i do.

8. kainis2k

kainis2k Member

I'll try that out with the exacto knife and see if it works... get back to ya on that... :p

9. blahhhhhh

blahhhhhh Member

sorry bout the double post. didnt see that it went to a second page. i know, im an idiot.

10. kainis2k

kainis2k Member

Well forgot I don't have an xacto knife lmao... I'll try using a needle :p

11. blahhhhhh

blahhhhhh Member

I am sad to report that my last attempts to get the chip to work was still unsuccessful. I'm going to try and install it into my friends xbox tomorow. If it doesn't work in his then I know there is something wrong with the modchip.

12. focker123

focker123 Member

I installed a spiderchip v1.1 in a 1.0 xbox and it works fine. You need to use the E wire and NOT the D wire as on a spiderchip v1.0.

13. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

i got one in successfully a 1.4, i think it seems to be the only problems with it are when using them with 1.6 xbox's

14. mike32389

mike32389 Member

HAS THE NEEDLE/EXACTO KNIFE WORKED FOR ANYONE??? I'M HAVING THE SAME LACQUERED MOTHERBOARD PROBLEM ON MY V 1.6... PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!

MIKE

15. blahhhhhh

blahhhhhh Member

ok, so i tried holding the chip down into the LPC port, still did not work. I went over to my friends house and tried it in his xbox, didnt work in his either. The guys at modchipstore keep insisting its the screw but I made sure the modchip was set down into the board correctly. I'm getting really frustrated with the chip and themodchipstore.

16. kainis2k

kainis2k Member

don't worry blahhhh you're not alone lmao... I tried everything, I have the same problems as you. The board is not laquered because the wires are going down into the board. It could only be a faulty modchip that they delivered. I tried holding it down onto the motherboard as well, still no positive results. btw, I also tried installing it on my friend's 1.0 xbox... Still no success... For me, faulty chip. I suppose the same in your case.

Ciao.
    -kAiNiS

17. voltron

voltron Member

Hey guys. i just finished with my spider 1.1 and xbox 1.6. No problems. everything went smooth other then one of the wires being broken off whenit arrived. Just soldered it back on and it works. I have flashed evox m8 ver 1.6 and all went smooth so i guess you guy must have faulty chips. i got mine from consolesource.com along with a 200gb hdd.

18. blahhhhhh

blahhhhhh Member

hey Kainis, whod you buy the chip from? It doesnt seem like themodchipstore is very willing or eager to send me a different one.

19. blahhhhhh

blahhhhhh Member

Received the new screw and washers today. Put them in, tried both the D wire and then the E wire. Neither one worked. I'm gonna to ask modchipstore to please give me back my money.

20. KjbAlto

KjbAlto Member

I tried the xacto knife and made holes where the spiderchip wires have to go and now my xbox won't even work without the chip. I get a flashing red and green light when turnign it on. My xbox was BRAND new and now I'm pissed.