1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Spider Chip

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by Todd513, Dec 26, 2004.

1. screwston

screwston Guest

Ok everyone good news I just got the spiderchip v1.1 in my v1.2 xbox and it worked perfect. Although the problem was to fit it in there even with the new screws that come with the chip. I had to open the hole where where the screw goes on the chip and I had to adapt a bigger washer on top of the chip. Anyways everthing is running smooth now, if someone is having trouble flashing the chip, use the X2_4983 bios it works perfect any other question on how I got it to work please feel free to ask.

2. CDR-

CDR- Member

I also tried the Knife trick to try and scrape off the laquer.. and now my xbox doesnt boot with/without the chip either... I'd advise not to try that method (I didn't even press hard or anything!)

3. aagh542

aagh542 Member

I've been working on mod-ing an X-Box v 1.6 and have a similar/the same problem. It appears the spider chip is not compatible with this X-box motherboard. Out of the 5 wires coming off the spiderchip, only the holes for wires B and E seem to exist on this motherboard. The other holes are visible, but no longer holes, just contact points on the motherboard. Does anyone have a solution for this problem OTHER than using an exacto knife (probably the worst idea i've ever heard for moding something by the way, i'm sorry you guys tried it).

4. aagh542

aagh542 Member

I've been working on mod-ing an X-Box v 1.6 and have a similar/the same problem. It appears the spider chip is not compatible with this X-box motherboard. Out of the 5 wires coming off the spiderchip, only the holes for wires B and E seem to exist on this motherboard. The other holes are visible, but no longer holes, just contact points on the motherboard. Does anyone have a solution for this problem OTHER than using an exacto knife (probably the worst idea i've ever heard for moding something by the way, i'm sorry you guys tried it).

5. KjbAlto

KjbAlto Member

Apparently the 1.6b motherboards which are the newest, have some of the holes covered like we've all noticed. After ruining mine wiht an xacto knife, I ended up buying a motherboard on ebay which was a 1.6. The holes were all there. If you guys do this make sure you get the 1.6 motherboard and not an earlier version one because your power supply is for a 1.6. I put my spiderchip in this new mobo and it works perfectly. I flashed the bios with no problem and installed the evox dashboard.

6. tyche7

tyche7 Member

Just FYI, even getting rid of the dang pogo pin and using a different size screw does not work. I still have to HOLD my stupid chip down with my fingers to get my xbox to boot with the chip enabled. I never liked Spiders...now I like them even less.

7. ospylac

ospylac Guest

I just tried to install a v1.1 spiderchip in my month old xbox (v1.6 I think). Now don't laugh but I can't even install as the diagrams on the divineo and spiderchip websites look nothing like the board in my machine. The chip placement around the LPC port is different and I don't know where to put the wires. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Thanks!

8. jsellnow

jsellnow Member

Try looking more closely. The pictures in the tutorial are blownup to an extreme to show you where to put the wires. The components on the board are EXTREMELY small and the pictures make them look MUCH larger than they really are. Take another look - VERY CLOSELY. A magnifying glass may help.

9. aagh542

aagh542 Member

Scroll, up guy. The 1.1 Spiderchip doesnt install easy/at all on a 1.6b. Your holes are missing/filled in. Its not your fault.

10. davidc24

davidc24 Member

I bought a spider v1.1 chip. I have an xbox v1.6 I connected all of the wires the way http://www.spiderchip.com/Tutorial_SpiderChip_v1.1.pdf says to. When I turn it on it tries to boot up twice and on the third try flashes green and red like many other people have had happen. The chip is receiving power because the led comes on. I just now read on the spider chip website that I should remove the bottom of the ground plug as shown http://spiderchip.com/The pogo pin 'GND'1.jpg here. I disconnected the chip so that I could remove that pin. I tried to turn on my xbox with the chip removed and it does the same thing when I turn it on as when it was in there. Any help would be very much appreciated.

11. screwston

screwston Guest

12. ospylac

ospylac Guest

D'oh - turns out my xbox is a v1.4 not a 1.6. Problem now is that the install instructions contradict themselves. On one page it tells you to use the D wire, and on another it says use the E wire. I'm beginning to wish I hadn't bothered!
    Any help guys?

13. screwston

screwston Guest

Use the E wire Not the D like in the tutorial says. I have a v1.2 and I used the E wire now ots working. I did had trouble figuring it out but it id the E wire.

14. screwston

screwston Guest

Ok I don't know what the hell I'm typing. Sorry I'm tire. I am misspelling to much. you get my point right? Just Use the E wire.

15. ospylac

ospylac Guest

Nice one screwston, you're a star. Just powered up and getting the spiderchip boot screen. Now all I have to do is flash it then I think I'm good.
    Really appreciate the help, thanks!

16. dedmunki

dedmunki Member

ok, this is what i have noticed and have not seen anybody say anything about it. I noticed that the spider chip Tutorial is different from the one located on spiderchip.com. If you look at the tutorial on www.modchipstore.com Figure 6 it shows points as c, e, d. if you look at spiderchip.com page 7. it shows c, d, e but you look at page 9 the wires are crossed c, e, d. Which is right? Has anybody sucessfully instaled it? I just dont want to burn the board up. xbox is still working. Xbox ver. 1.6 and i am able to see all solder points.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  17. birdie03

birdie03 Member

has anyone been able successfully flash the spider chip. I have used CD-RW, CD-R and many different dummy files, and got nothing. Is there anyone out there that can help me with this.

18. Kuttah

Kuttah Member

Dedmunki is right. I was having the same problem. As soon as I switched the wires it worked fine. Now I'm having the same problem birdie 03 is having. I tried to different brands and it wont work at all.

19. screwston

screwston Guest

Fallow the instructions really close on how to burn the bios. The xbox is really picky. I have flashed the spider and installed evox, it has been working perfect without any problems. I recomend not to use avalaunch. Also make sure you use a bios that is 256 bios and a dummy of 100MB. find a dummy file maker, works better. I used memorex cd-rw might help. But it depends on what kind of dvd drive you have. Since I don't have a v1.6 xbox I cannot tell you the wire location but I will star with the E wire being the one close to the screw. See if that helps.

20. davidc24

davidc24 Member

I got mine to work by following the instructions on the spiderchip website. When you burn the flash disk you have to turn off julliette or something like that. It makes anything you type all capital letters. I do have 1 problem though. It works perfect when the switch is turned on, but when I turn the chip off it frags.