1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Spider Chip

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by Todd513, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Rob56489

Rob56489 Member

I have Xbox Ver 1.4 and using the spider chip Ver 1.1, I had all the same problems getting it to boot up. What I did was took a drill bit just a little bigger than the screw hole on the mode chip, and then widened the hole so I could have more movement for the pogo pins to align better to the mother board. Then I used a longer screw so it would get into the plastic below the orignal hole, and so it would tighten down better. Then use the E wire and not the D wire. I found the pogo pins not ligning up to the mother board was 99% of my problem, and took at least 3 hours of realigning to get it just right.

2. hugh_66

hugh_66 Member

Hi Davidc24, I am having the exact same problem with my spider chip installation as you had. Chip is in and xbox turns on and off 3 times then the light flashes orange and red (i think). This problem seems to be a common one. Please could you supply the forum with an easy step by step run down of how you solved this problem. I know it will be much appreciated..
    Thanks

3. davidc24

davidc24 Member

First off I did a lot. Every single problem that I have read about on these boards happened to me. I ended up taking the board out. I used a bolt and nut to attach the chip to the board and cut the plastic threads away so it would fit. I used my own wires just by splitting some wire I had and using the threads. I bent the ends of the wires to make small hooks and put a dab of solder on the end. Then I thread the wires from the back to the front so that the little hook with the solder was at the back end of the hole. Then I heated up the wires to melt the solder and stick them to the hole. Then I soldered all of the wires to the chip and it worked. I found a guide at one of the xbox sites to flash the chip. However, my xbox only works when the switch is turned on. It frags when I switch it off :(

4. thisok

thisok Guest

For the Xbox 1.6 versions, if you are not getting the mod chip to work try using one washer and a longer screw. You will want to make sure that the threads and the screw are the same size as the one that came with it. The reason there are problems with this version is because the chip isn't fitting into the LPC port correctly. By using a longer screw this pulls the chip into the correct position.

5. doyinge

doyinge Member

does anyone still have the return address to modchipstore.com

Last edited: May 24, 2005
  6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

@ doyinge

Posting email addies isn't allowed so please remove it from your sig :)

7. optimus6

optimus6 Member

ok guys... I recently modded my girlfrinds xbox witht he Spider. I'm not a newbie to the scene, but it was my first actually mod. I'm not braging, but it worked.

First of all have a solder iron ready, cuz often the spider chips wires fall right off cuz of bad solder jobs, so a simple solder using the exisiting solder on the chip is fine.

The xbox was version 1.3 and the friggin pins wouldn't line up poperly so bascially screwed it down with right alignment, pressed it softly and taped the chip in place so it wouldn't move anymore. Turn it on and it worked. Once thing i must state!!! His xbox had a after market brand controller and the Spider original Cromwell bios didn't detect the after market controller!
    I took a wild guess and plugged in my own original one and it worked.
    I flashed the bios with an M8 bios using a dvd-r. download it here http://evox.xboxhackz.net/downloads/ , yea the file is large... but thats cuz inside it has 2 bioses, 256k each.

Dudes... when flashing just use a DVD-R if you are using old models. Xboxes are soo picky on CD-Rs on older models.

ok I know this is a long post but I just wanna state everything in one post so people don't have to scroll up and down to get it... Like i had to :(.

Ok so rehase!

Algin the chip, screw it in align it and tape it in place. Use an original Controller, not aftermarket cuz Spider chip might have trouble detecting it. Flash using m8 downloaded from http://evox.xboxhackz.net/downloads/ with DVD-R to save you compatibility issues. With Luck any luck you should be good to go!

I hope this helps man, cuz I know how much of a pain it is to messed up something.

Cheers!

8. phsyco009

phsyco009 Member

i need help i tried to install my spiderchip and it FRAGS so we checked everything and it still FRAGS. Then we tried taking out one of the wires and it still FRAGS we ended up taking all of then out and it still FRAGS the i gave up and took the spiderchip out and we tried the xbox and it FRAGS even without the spiderchip can someone plz help me out?

9. shebas

shebas Member

I have a Xbox v1.0 and spider ship 1.1 but they have closed down spidership.com! could any one send me manuals for how you install the ship please???

10. gsnider

gsnider Member

terrible customer service, worst in my life, and i'm not over-exaggerating.

I purchased a xenium modchip and a 120GB HDD from them, ($200), and installed it on my xbox (i did it correctly). it worked for exactly 30 days (time of warrenty) on the 31st day, it just erased everything on the HDD and screwed everything up.

I sent it back to them to get it fixed, they said my Xbox and modchip are fried, i need a new one. So i buy a new xbox and modchip ($300).

I specifically ask them to send it to me fully assembled and in working order, and they accepted. When i received it, didn't work. I kept getting an Xbox "you need service" error code.

So i ask for a refund if i send it back, they say "yes send it back".

I sent it back ONE hour after I received it on my doorstep.

Then for 3 months, they avoided me.

I finally submitted around 50 support tickets before they answered, and what did they say? This EXACTLY:
    "We did not receive the Xbox back from you."

That's it, it took them 3 months to say THAT? From when I received that message, it took them 2 or 3 weeks between messages to contact me. not even 2 or 3 days which is terrible.

I say, yes i did, i sent it the same day i received it 3 months ago.

They say, sorry it wasn't in the mail station.

I say "here is a tracking number you bleep idiots, it got to you in 2 weeks " (they are in US, i'm in canada)

So that has now been another 2 and a half months of discussion. But from that "tracking number" message i sent, they took another 2 months to reply to THAT message.

they say, "oh yes now we found it, the company is unable to give you a refund".

What, are they broke??? Lets bleep hope so.

they say "someone has VOLUNTEERED to refund your money via paypal"

I say "great where is it?"

they say "he sent it to blahr@blahr.com"

i say "my email is blah@blah.com"

they say "our mistake, did you receive it now?"

i say "no, i received $198 USD from you, but not my $800 that i coughed up throughout this whole bleep process"

they say "well thats our policy, 50% restocking charge."

i say "wholybleep!!! most companies charge bleep 4%!"

they say "too bad"

i say "I paid out bleep 800 and you cant even refund me the total cost of the item I sent back? You have 2 of my xboxs, 2 of my modchips, and a 120 GB hard drive. and I paid for ALL the shipping. how is that fair?"

they say "Would you like to purchase anything else? We'll knock off $6."

and that's when i bleep accepted the $198 and decided, I got bleep lucky with $198.....

DO NOT BUY FROM MODCHIPSTORE.COM bleep DONT!

I am posting this message bleep EVERYWHERE. I also have a log of the support ticket(s) saved on my PC if you are interested. The latest support ticket was created on Posted on 23 May 2005 10:36 PM and ran until 29 Sep 2005 11:13 AM. From the time I got the Xbox and Modchip (2nd shipment they sent to me) till today. It was just resolved today (Sept 29th)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2005
  11. Nephilim

Sorry to hear of your troubles gsnider but I had to go in and put alot of bleep's in your post. I understand you're angry (who wouldn't be) but let's keep the language clean next time ;)

12. gsnider

gsnider Member

no worries mod. just had to get it off my chest.

thanks for bleeping and not erasing the thing.

13. Nephilim

Ah, I know how it goes and have a couple threads buried in Saftey Valve (where it's ok sometimes) that are strewn with profanities against something or other :)

14. bigsmatty

bigsmatty Guest

Sounds like gsnider is full of it, I have had great expeirence with them, so i checked on what he said about restocking etcc..you can see that those are posted policies, and if he would take the time to compare them to such companies as modchipman, he would see that modchipman does not take consoles back at all, it sounds like the did he a favor.

Why does it sound like we are not getting the full story here, i bet he messed up his systems and just wont admit it

my 2 cents

gsnider, dont bother replying to me, i dont pay attention to people who dont take responsibility

15. gsnider

gsnider Member

I love how you work for modchipstore.com

why don't you shut your mouth and stop [bold]bleep[/bold]in people over.

your business sucks and the FBI WILL shut you down soon enough.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2005
  16. Nephilim

bigsmatty's now gone for doing nothing but pimping modchipstore.com. Shoulda bought adspace bud.

17. gsnider

gsnider Member

Excellent choice mod.

I just hope my case was one freak case, but I know there have been an extremely greater amount than just myself.

Take a look at this well known business website:
    http://www.dallas.bbb.org/modchips.html

There are many more if you just search online forums, but just put this into perspective, that is searching JUST forums, for people who registered to complain... imagine how many others are still fighting for their money's worth and how many are just silent that will never online shop again?

18. chinrub

chinrub Member

I apologise for not reading the whole thread but if anyone is having still having problems with the screwhole on the motherboard now being too big because they have been stripped I strongly recommend you purchase some "PTFE Tape", before you head to ebay to buy a new motherboard. I picked up a roll for less than £1 from the local hardware store and it simply wraps around the screw allowing to to get more bite. It's worked for me and my pogo pins sit firmly on the lpc now.