1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with TMPG

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by kalison, Jul 19, 2002.

1. kalison

kalison Member

Hi!
    When I try to load a .AVI file in TMPGE it comes up with a error saying "name.avi cannot open or unsupported". I can play it in Windows Media, Real Player. I can also get the TMPGE program to work with other avi files. I have the newest version of TMPGE. Has the file been encoded a different way that TMPGE can't recognized? and is there a way to fix this? Thanks!

2. chriso123

chriso123 Regular member

It could be DivX. It's not the best idea to encode lossy formats into another lossy format. Some lossy formats are SVCD, VCD and DivX. Every time you encode between lossy formats the quialty drops quite significantly. If you must have them on VCD download and install these:

www.dawnload.net/video_software/video_tools/divx_;-)_mpeg4_codec_release_3_11_alpha.cfm

(I couldn't make the above link work (it only highlighted half of it) so copy it into the address bar and hit enter)

http://www.dawnload.net/video_software/video_players/divx_5_pro_for_windows.cfm

Then use TMPGEnc to encode as normal.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2002
  3. TheFlyer

TheFlyer Guest

4. chriso123

chriso123 Regular member

Flyer: Your method is for replacing a .dll file which is only for when TMPGEnc won't load any files.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2002
  5. kalison

kalison Member

Hi!

Thank you all for your help. I did the divx download and install but I still have the same error? Also, when I use Nero 5.8, it will convert the file using the "create vcd" option. I downloaded this avi file from Kazaa. I was able to convert other avi files but, there's about 4 *.avi files (two movies) that TMPG can't seem to read? I also tried NeoDVD and that program came up with the same error also (*.avi file not recognized or unsupported")? I don't know.. Maybe its some funky Codec that a small company made? Any other ideas? Thanks again for all your help!

6. chriso123

chriso123 Regular member

Last edited: Jul 20, 2002
  7. kalison

kalison Member

Hey!

Thank you very much Chris!! it works!! it was the TMD codec that I needed!! Thank you again!

8. chriso123

chriso123 Regular member

No problem.