1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with TMPGEnc 3.0 XPress

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Colorin, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Colorin

Colorin Member

Ok I'm attempting to convert an old crappy MPEG-1 file into a better quality MPEG one using 3.0 XPress. Currently the file has annoying audio noise (hissing) and sound only comes out of one speaker. With 3.0 XPress I am able to remove the noise (with the filter) and output to both speakers using the AC-3 Plugin. Now here's the REALLY weird thing. I tested out a bunch of paramters to find the best one, and I did it by only encoding the first minute of the hour long show. Now that minute sounds PERFECT. No hissing, and the audio is crystal clear. Yet when I convert the ENTIRE clip the sound is AWFUL. It sounds like everything is under water! I've tried NUMEROUS settings, from DVD, XVCD, AC-3, PCM, etc. They all suck. Any ideas why when I encode 1 minute of the clip it's perfect, yet when I encode the whole thing it sounds awful? Thanks for any help you can give.

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

I don't know which kind of output 'modified' sound you have from your filters. A .WAV file? A .MP2 file?
    What about converting the output sound (if it's a .WAV file) to .MP2 with BeSweet + its GUI (or don't do it if it an .MP2 already) and then with TMPGenc, re-encode the whole movie (DON'T SIMPLY MULTIPLEX THE VIDEO [with File___MPEG Tools] with the .MP2 file you have created) using your_sound.MP2 as audio input instead of the default (the movie)?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Read forum rules!
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2004
  3. Colorin

Colorin Member

The filters I have on the sound are just to get rid of the noise. They aren't what's hosing up the file, 3.0 XPress itself does that. If I remove their noise filter it still comes out sounding horrendous.

As for the source file, it's just an MPEG-1 file. I have no .MP2 or .WAV file. I'd like to create a .MP2 file with ANY tool other than 3.0 XPress. Any ideas how to do this? Basically are their any good tools out there other than 3.0 XPress that I can use? Thanks.

P.S. I created an audio avi file using River Past Audio Convertor but it only lasts 2 minutes. I then used this file as the audio part of the original mpeg and meshed them together with 3.0 XPress. This APPEARS to work ok, but then again 3.0 XPress DESTROYS the audio after a certain time, so it might be that it's anywhere north of 5 minutes so the 2 minute file is ok.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]"It's like my father used to say... when I was a child, I thought as a child and spoke as a child... and when I became a man, I took that child out back and had him shot." ~ Bill McNeal[/small]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2004