1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with uninstall/reinstall

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by Trimmer2, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Trimmer2

Trimmer2 Member

Hello everyone,
    In 2003 I bought a cheap CDRW ($49 w/$30 rebate) CD burner for a used Windows 98SE (Pentium II/64 ram) Dell PC. The name of the player, on the box, is Cendyne. It had Nero Express V5.5.10.4, and below that (on a red CD) it says 'Ahead Incd'.
    It has worked great for me, but the only 2 things I used it for were to copy factory (music) CD's, and burn loads of files from this Dell to CD, pictures, backups...etc, you name it.
    Getting to the question; Since this PC's hard drive is only 4GB I have uninstalled this Nero Express software once or twice because I needed the drive space. I deleted a .Msi file from C:\Windows\Install...the hidden one, It was (17MB). I kind of knew I should have left it in there because I have deleted one other .Msi file and had to download the program again so I could uninstall the program. One thing, I ran MS Installer Removal Tool 6-7 months ago to remove older .Net Framework, but I reinstalled 'msiexec' version 2 (Msi Windows® installer) and it has been working.

Anyway, I got my Nero CD out and now the only option I have is to remove. I've tried 'Repair' and 'Install' but all I get is a message box that says; "Click to remove Nero - Burning Rom from your computer. After removal, this program will no longer be available for use. If you want to review or change any settings, click back" - The 'back' button is grayed out so I hit 'Cancel' and when the box exits it says "Are you sure you want to stop Nero Install"? I tried 'Repair' but it removed the 'Ahead' folder in Start/Programs menu. It used to branch off to Nero Express. I found Nero's .exe in C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero. I made a shortcut to it and Nero Express will open. I'd like to uninstall & clean up..I'm not planning on using Nero for several months.
    The question is, if I uninstalled Nero and run Nero Removal Tool, like I did once before (without any problems), would I be able to reinstall Nero on this PC using my same serial #No.? It seems I should since I bought and paid for it. I have the serial number wrote on the CD pkg.
    Can someone help? I would appreciate any help...I never had trouble like this from software I bought. Excuse errors/typos, I'm a bit upset about this.
    -Dale W.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Yes you can reinstall from the CD using the serial.

3. Trimmer2

Trimmer2 Member

Thanks a lot!
    I sure needed good news today. I want to uninstall this (Nero) software because I won't need it until about Christmas, that'll give me more disk space. I'm going to have to get another bigger PC so I can update to a newer OS....I'm way out of date here. It's getting where you got to have better than 98SE to run a lot of software. I'll keep this one for a backup. Yeah, I trhink I'll always (try) keep a machine with 98SE on it...it's a good OS, has been for me.
    I still can't figure out that warning message box....probably because of that missing .Msi Install file.
    Again, thanks a bunch!
    -Dale

4. attar

attar Senior member

5. Trimmer2

Trimmer2 Member

I just hope there's nothing wrong with 'misexec' (.Msi Installer). Yeah, I have Nero Removal Tool, but I'll check and make sure I got the right one. It's been a while since I've used this one, I may d'load another one. This Nero Express is V5.5.10.4 and 'Incd' is version 3.5.19.2. I never really knew what it is, I don't think I've ever used it.?

Hey, I trust you on this, but I got to ask - ARE YOU POSITIVE I can reinstall this software? Just wondering because of that warning message.
    Thanks a lot!
    -Dale

6. attar

attar Senior member

I have reinstalled Nero from my CD numerous times in different PC's without incident.
    Note don't install 'Incd' it causes problems when burning DVD's.

If you have doubts about the Windows installer program all I can suggest is to remove and install something you don't use often.
    If the installer fails, then you know you would be better off doing a fresh install of W98 instead of trying to patch things together.
    It always ends in tears.

7. Trimmer2

Trimmer2 Member

Sorry to be paranoid about this, excuse me...I'm like that.
    The only thing I didn't mention is it's a 'bundled' CD. It has Adobe 4 on it, but that shouldn't matter.

Yeah, I used to use Sacamouch's Smart Cleaner shareware and when the 30 trial period is up I'd download it again, no problems. I've never ran into a 30 day trial program that would reinstall, and it uses Microsoft (.Msi) Installer. It leaves a file in C:\Windows\Install hidden folder, the same folder Nero's Installer goes after I Install it. I downloaded it a few weeks back just to see if it would reinstall, being shareware 30 day trial, and it's on here now. I just hit 'Repair' on Smart Cleaner and it done it's thing, so Nero should be OK too. Like I said, my Nero Install (17MB) is right beside it....same Installer file.
    I'll uninstall it later today after I get through using the PC....I need to empty Temp, run CCleaner and defrag.
    Wish you well, and thanks,
    -Dale