1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with video Capture

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by supertony, Jan 2, 2005.

1. supertony

supertony Guest

Hello,
    I cannot capture video from my cam to pc. But for some reason I can send a video from my pc to my cam. I have a JVC gr-d90u and a belkin firewire pci card.
    I've used 2 separate apps to try to capture. Everything was properly installed and pluged in. Camcorder in play.
    First was Ulead Video Studio5 (came on a disc). It gave me an error after I tried to start to capture. I got pissed off and took it off. But the error stated "no common media between these pins".
    Next I tried Windows Movie Maker. I tried every video setting and capture method!
    In capture entire tape... The comp makes the cam rewind and play, but not capture anything and errors after the proc is done. Preview screen is black the whole time.
    In manual mode.. Same thing really.. I can control my camera play, pause, etc. but the preview screen is black and sound and video from the camera are working properly. Video captured and Size of Video stay at 0 the entire time. Errors are after...
    "The specified video device are not responding. Verify that the device is connected properly and turned on, and then try capturing again."
    (Everything is on and connected correctly!)

"C:\Documents and Settings\T\My Documents\My Videos\Untitled_0001.avi could not be imported. The selected file is not valid or is corrupted."
    (The file it made is only 64kb.)

PLEASE HELP!
    and thank you in advance

tony

2. Leontari

Leontari Guest

did you get any solution ? I am facing the same problem with my camcorder and I am really frustrated!

3. supertony

supertony Guest

hehe. nope. I haven't given up but hell, I have no clue on what is the problem or how to fix it.

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

There must be something wrong with your Firewire card, your cable or your camera. The only way to find out is by "ticking off" what is not the problem.
    Take your camera to another PC with with another Firewire cable and see if you can capture from your camera on that PC (you may find a computer shop that is willing to help you).
    If that works you know your Camera is OK and you will have to suspect that either your cable or your firewire card has a defect.

5. Leontari

Leontari Guest

well, i tried a different firewire cable and the problem wasn't solved so now the problem I think lies with the firewire card. With my previous computer the thing worked just fine. I don't thing there's a problem with a card. Something is different in this computer than my previous one. Maybe it has something to do with the BIOS ? Something is not enabled ??

6. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

I don't think so.
    If I understand well your camera is recognized and you actually have device control over your camera?
    If this is the case, your system is OK and there must be something wrong with either your card, your cable or your camera....
    You ruled out the cable, so now it's got to be the camera or the card...
    All I can say is test the camera on another PC. If that works, replace your Firewire card.

7. supertony

supertony Guest

It can't be my cables either.(I have two of them) And when I connect my camcoder to my pc it does recognize it. So I'm guessing it might be my camera. I'll just have it check it out later. But why! why the hell am I capable of sending videos from my computer to my DV tapes and not the other way back around?

8. Hexxus

Hexxus Member

I have fixed this problem by uninstalling and reinstalling WindowsXP Service Pack 2. Only to have it reoccur again after downloading and installing new drivers for my ATI 9550 video card. So it seems there must be a driver or file being overwritten by the ATI drivers in my case. This is very annoying, Ive been to countless forums and have not found a permament solution, nor have I found anything on the subject either from Microsoft or ATI.

9. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

This is very peculiar.
    Transfer over Firewire is a direct transfer and I don't see how video drivers can have anything to do with it. Anyway, if it is true from your won experience I would raise the issue with the ATI boys...

10. Hexxus

Hexxus Member

Its not so much a transfer problem as it is a display problem inside either Pinnacle Studio 8 (or 9 demo version) and Windows Movie Maker's own preview display window. Although I can capture video using the camera selection from "My Computer" when it is connected to my computer via firewire and I can capture still photos from it as well. The camera is a Jvc GR33Du just for the record. So that indicates to me its not a transfer problem, in my case anyway.

11. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

OK, so your problem is completely different from wht thi sthread is about. Supertony says he cannot capture at all and he ends up with file being 64k...

12. wjauch

wjauch Member

I have the same problem, Video preview screen remains black (using windows movie maker, Nero and ULead), and an attempt at capture results in file error messages. The camcorder, cable and Firewire card are OK, I put the card into an older computer and there capture works fine. Both PCs are running XP with SR2. Downloading latest Direct X 9c didn't help. I assume its some software difference between the computers, but what? Could the actual PCI bus be faulty and how does one check? Any help would be appreciated.

13. Hexxus

Hexxus Member

In my particular case I know the pci bus is not faulty as I was able to correct the problem by uninstalling Service pack 2 and reinstalling it. It was only after reinstalling the ATI drivers for my video card that the problem occurred again.

14. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

15. Leontari

Leontari Guest

please, someone! Find a solution! I have tried everything ... I don't know what to do ... I installed the latest Catalyst version, the latest VIA 4 in 1 drivers, nothing ... I even removed my graphic display drivers but nothing .. my last try would be to uninstall service pack 2 and see if then capturing works, but I doubt it ... someone HELP!

16. jagger123

jagger123 Member

Following the failuure of ULEAD, Pinnacle Plus and AMCAP to capture DV video from my Belkin firewire connection, I have just downloaded Scenalyzer beta DV capture program (0.95Mb) from /www.scenalyzer.com. Takes about 30 seconds to install and captured first time with no dropped frames. Pinnacle and AMCAP and Video Studio are still failing to capture from my Belkin firewire connection - therefore it would appear to be a specific software related problem rather than a hardware or driver problem.
    I have contacted Pinnacle to let them know after being sent on a wild goose chase updating every piece of hardware and related software and OS I have on my system. Awaiting their response.

17. Leontari

Leontari Guest

Well, I used Scenalyzer beta DV but again it didn't work. I got this message: "ScLive has not received any video from the driver. Close any other program that uses this capturing-device, or disconnect and reconnect the firewire-connection."

I checked for other programs and nothing seems to use my DV cam and I disconnected/connected my firewire cable but again nothing.

This is getting to be really annoying ... :eek:(

18. jagger123

jagger123 Member

Leontari
    If you have your camcorder turned off and then in any of the video capture programs (inc scenalyzer) choose a capture source you should first find that the source is not listed. As soon as you enable the power to the camcorder it should be recognised immediately as a source - if it is not suggest that there is a physical connection problem. If the source becomes listed obviously choose it and go from there. My problem has been that I can preview and control the camera functions but I have been unable to capture.

19. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Jagger,
    If you were abel to capture with Scenalyzer and not with one of the other programs, I bet it is aproblem with the timecode on your tape. Scenalyzer is very good at cirumvening that problem.
    Leontari has a serious other problem, which is very very peculiar... I doubt if there is anybody over here who can help you.. :-(
    (Gosh, I hate to say that...)

20. jagger123

jagger123 Member

TPFKAS
    since your reply I have put a previously successful captured DV tape (with Pinnacle Studio 9) into Pinnacle Studio 9 Plus and AMCAP but this video stream also failed to be captured - therefore I cannot see the RTC on the tape to be the problem, as you suggested, have you any other ideas please ?