1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with viewing burned DVD on modern DVD player

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by rennigade, Apr 7, 2005.

1. rennigade

rennigade Member

Hi I am new to all this so anyones input would be very much appreciated. I have previously downloaded two movies that were AVI format, I used the Divx to DVD and then DVD Shrink and finally decriptor. The movies burned and turned out great. I then downloaded a mpg movie tried the same steps and was not able to view on my modern newer DVD. However my neighbours 40 dollar walmart no-name DVD player it plays in?? What do I need to know here?

2. squizzle

squizzle Active member

some DVD players are picky about what they will play, but that usually boils down to what media you are trying to use. Did you use different media this time?

A lot of the cheapo DVD players will play just about anything you throw at it, but they still are cheap players and I still wouldn't buy one. There are compatibility charts out there that will tell you what players will play what media. Google should be able to help you there.

3. SUKIE

SUKIE Member

most all new dvd standalones will play homemade dvd's , there was a time when they never used to, and it was because of the way written, not stamped dvd's are i.e their luminace. old dvd players could not read them right.

but today, most dvd players will play homemade dvd's easily as they are now compatible with most dvd media's profiles.
    the mpeg you spoke about, well i guess your trying to burn vcd. and some dvd players are not compatible , im suprised that it doesnt, but you wil have a better chance of compatibility if your stand alone is a new player.

old stand alones wil have the most incompatibility issues, and thats based on the luminance of the dvdisc itself.

by the way, a vcd can be burnt to a 700 meg cdr at a bout 1 hour of footage, its mpeg, vhs quality.