1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem with vob files and nero

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by udp, Nov 3, 2003.

1. udp

udp Member

I d/l a concert dvd whick consisted of some vob files and an ifo file. When i play the vob files individualy in power dvd they seem fine, but i can't burn them in nero as a playable dvd. nero gives the message "dvd-video files compliance test failed. the resulting dvd video might be unplayable." when i ignore this, it gives the message "there has been a possible read error during the operation which may result in a defective write."

I've burned several dvd's with nero before, so its not anything wrong with the process, so it must be the files themselves. Is there anyway to reauthor the vobs/ifo or extract the video files within them to sucessfully make a dvd?

Thanks for your help.

2. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Within Nero make sure you drag every single file ripped into the video folder and not just the vobs. Also check that multisession is not activated in the DVD-ROM (ISO) mode.

3. DSYF3R

DSYF3R Regular member

If you have burn't DVDs before with Nero that side should be alright. Try running them through DVDShrink by selecting open files (select the .ifo) instead of open disc. I fthis does not work you could put them through IFO Edit and create a new .ifo file, or, through VOB Edit or VOBrator, to extract the video and audio streams.

4. udp

udp Member

thanks DSYF3R, IfoEdit did the trick.

5. DBC78

DBC78 Member

I am getting the same exact message about the DVD-Video compliance files failure. here is my process:

1. DVDSHrink to Rip and compress files from original movie DVD.

2. Nero to burn files.

Nero gives me the ssame 2 errors that the initial poster described. I can't even burn one file at a time. Ive tried two movies so far. Is this a security issue with the DVD itself? Is there a way around this? Please help.

6. mfurj

mfurj Member

DBC78
    First thing is make sure you open your video folder in nero to add your files to.

7. Discmania

Discmania Active member

You will also get this message if multisession is checked or if 'track at once' is checked. You must choose 'not multisession' and 'disc at once'. Also make sure that ISO level 1 and ISO 9660 and 'joliet' are all checked. None of the three boxes below this should be checked. There should also be Bup files after ripping to drag into nero. If these are not present (in addition to the vobs and ifo) then there is a problem with the rip and hence the error messages.

8. DBC78

DBC78 Member

yeah that was my problem. haha i was dumping the into the audio folder by mistkake.

But now I have a new problem. I burned the files but 2 problems came up:

1. Everything seemed fine at first, but the nI noticed that the main movie had no audio. The menu was playing music and sound, but the main movei had nothing. I figured that maybe I removed the wrong audio selections when using DVDShrink so I re-reipped keeping in ALL aduio selections this time. Then the next problem came up.

2. When I went back into Nero Burning ROM, at the burn screen, there was no option for the burner. It was only writing to an image. I would imagine this is because the DVD I am using is not blacnk. But it is a DVD-RW. Apparently you can't just burn over a DVD-RW, you have to erase it first. Can someone explain how to erase a DVD-RW. Thanks.

9. Discmania

Discmania Active member

There is an 'erase re-writable' option in Nero. In 5.5 series it is accessed via the top task bar. Normally it will prompt you to erase when you hit 'burn'.