1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with XP Freezing using i3

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ZeroOmega, Jul 19, 2011.

1. ZeroOmega

ZeroOmega Member

I'm having an issue with Windows XP Pro. Freezing up.

I just put together a custom build for a small office and the PC I built is freezing whenever put under a load.

To start off I used:

-MSI H61M-P23LGA LGA 1155 Motherboard
    -2GB OCZ RAM DDR3 10666 (2x1GB)
    -160GB HDD Seagate 7200 RPM
    -Power supply 480 watts
    -Processor Intel i3 2100 (1155) Sandy Bridge
    -Multicard reader (Generic)
    -Logitech mouse (optical) USB, HP keyboard PS2
    -Microsoft Windows XP Professional (32 bit) (SP3, all Updates, & DirectX 9.0c)
    -Using on board VGA (this is an office PC, no need for a powerful GPU)
    -Microsoft security essentials

I have had an issue with the computer freezing up after I attempted to install adobe acrobat reader 10. However, I was able to install Windows XP Professional all required drivers, updates, and even service packs including directX without any issues. However, when I attempted to install Adobe acrobat reader 10, the screen developed a fuzzy 2" line from top to bottom using green and black. There were 3 of these lines approximately 3" apart from each other. When this happens the computer locks up solid. Control+Alt+Delete does nothing, the mouse cannot move, and even the keyboard lock keys (Caps, scroll, number locks)are non responsive. I am wanting to know if there is a compatibility issue with Windows XP 32 bit and the Intel i3 2100.

I have attempted changing out the RAM and the power supply. The hardware seems to be in good shape but now the computer is locking up if I try to run a program that puts it under a load such as doing a Virus Scan or even if the computer sits at idle for 10 minutes, its locking up. Please I need some help on this.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try 1 stick of ram into a slot to see if ram issue or ram slot issue. what is your cpu temperature? how much ram assigned to onboard video?

3. ZeroOmega

ZeroOmega Member

Thank you, I appreciate your help

Ok, I've tried Removing the RAM one at a time & reversing the order, the PC no longer freezes up, & no more distortions. But the XP is running so slow it's unreal, & I still cant get Adobe Reader to install. The RAM assigned to the Video is about 200MB, however I tried all the way down to 64MB with the same results

I tried switching out the HDD & re-installing Windows XP Pro (32bit) as well to see if that would help the speed issue along with the inability to install any programs. To no avail I'm afraid. It's still very slow, however it can still update Windows install Drivers, & even DirectX 9.0c.

As a side note, I've also changed out the Factory Intel Thermal Compound & replaced it with Arctic Silver 5.

I'm open to suggestions at this point, anything at all, I'll try it

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  4. ddp

do you have or can borrow more compatible ram to see what happens?

5. ZeroOmega

ZeroOmega Member

I have ran the OCZ DDR3 10666 2GB (2x1GB), I've also tried some G-Skill Ripjaw 4GB (1x4gb) 10666. However & don't have any other RAM at my disposal. Do you think it could be the RAM is the issue? Possibly too fast for XP Pro?

6. ddp

7. ZeroOmega

ZeroOmega Member

Thank you again for helping me with my issue :)

I'm Using Windows XP Pro. with Service Pack 3 & all Updates installed Including .Net Framework 4.

I have installed the Chipset driver as well as the other Drivers from the Disk provided by MSI, but do you think I should install the Drivers from the site instead?

8. ZeroOmega

ZeroOmega Member

If you want to install multiple Operating systems onto a single machine you will need to duel partition your HDD then install XP on one partition, & Vista on the other Partition. Then when your machine is booting up it will ask you which OS you want to boot.

Hope it helps

9. ZeroOmega

ZeroOmega Member

I ran the Drivers from the MSI website and even upgraded the Bios. when I try to run the Adobe ".exe" (Side note, I have gotten reader & Shockwave to install but Flash will not) or 3D benchmark ".exe" the computer just locks up the folder containing the ".exe"

As a note of extra info, I have tried switching out the HDD with a Brand new 250GB Seagate 7200RPM HDD & performed a clean install of XP, Drivers, SP3, all updates (Including .Net Framework 4.0), & DirectX 9.0c. But when I try to install Adobe, 3D Benchmark, or an assortment of other programs, it will do the same thing & lock up the ".exe" containing folder.

I stopped by a local computer shop today to pick their brains, but unfortunately they were as stumped as I was.

10. ddp

don't do the updates as do them after other programs to see what happens.

11. ZeroOmega

ZeroOmega Member

Ok Formatted & started with a clean install of XP Pro. no updates installed at all. Still not allowing ".exe" Files to launch (Adobe, 3D Benchmark). Tried to start PC in Safe mode to install files, still running into errors there as well....

I got to say "This is the craziest & most stubborn problem I've ever had

12. ddp

do you have a different version of windows like vista or windows 7 to see what happens?

13. ZeroOmega

ZeroOmega Member

Ok I Installed Windows 7 Pro 64 bit & encountered the same error. So I contacted MSI & they tell me the Motherboard is bad & needs to be RMA & there going to send me a new board.
    Crazy all around I tell you lol.... Although I do wonder if its the Board or the CPU to be honest...
    Thank you for your help, & I'll defiantly post the results back here when I get the new board in

14. ddp

no problem.

15. ZeroOmega

ZeroOmega Member

Well after a few days, I contacted Intel & they tell me that the i3 is no good, so I sent it back to them got the new one in, installed it & it works like a charm :)

16. ddp

good but did you also replace the motherboard too or is it original?

17. ZeroOmega

ZeroOmega Member

I had replaced the motherboard first, but still encountered the same issue, I had called MSI & they even gave me some new Bio's that had not been released to the general public to try and fix it, but nothing was working. That's when I contacted Intel & after talking with them for about 10 min, they said the CPU had to be bad. so they RMA The i3 CPU & sent me a new one, I plugged it in, didn't even re-install windows, & it worked perfectly, installed & ran any program I wanted.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  18. ddp

good.

19. ZeroOmega

ZeroOmega Member

I want to thank you for all your help, it really was a big help over myself just trying to figure it out. :)

20. ddp

no problem as that is why this site is here to help others with their technology.