1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems adding subtitles using VirtualDubMod

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by buckpet, Apr 8, 2007.

1. buckpet

buckpet Member

Hey all,

my first post here, as I was happily recoding my downloaded avi files with subtitles (as I am deaf) until recently I started having problems.

Ok, I am working on a new Dell PC, with Vista Premium, using Subtitle Workshop to convert my .srt files into Alpha Sub Station, and adding the subtitle filter into VirtualDubMod, but when I try to compress (on full processing mode) and encode into a new file no subtitles appear on the dub. I can't for the life of me fathom out the problem, and I have tried taking it 'back to basics' but no joy.

Can anyone advise what I may be doing wrong or suggest a new way I could try?

This is my current procedure:

Download AVI (in this case Wild Hogs)

Download .srt subtitle file.

Convert .srt file into Alpha Sub Station using Subtitle workshop.

Add subtitler.vdf file into 'plug-ins' section of VirtualDubMod program

Open avi with VirtualDubMod (here i sometimes ger an error saying something about 'VirtualDub has encountered an improper VBR encoding in the source AVI file....suggest rewrite the audio header with standard CBR values....blah blah blah...do you still want to rewite the header..'

I click yes... it opens up the file and the dub file.

Then I open video----filters---> and add subtitler, and load .ssa file.

then, go to video ----> full processing mode

save as...

and then... NO SUBTITLES appear on the dub screen. WHY??

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

Peter

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Your audio will be out of sync. Suppose not a problem if you are deaf. May as well disable it and save some space in that case though. Otherwise click no to rewriting the header or change the options so you get to press yes to keeping the header.

You might want to try textsub (part of vsfilter) since it can open srt's directly for hard subbing.

3. buckpet

buckpet Member

Thanks. yeah i tried textsub and it seems to work ok. Is this facility available in virtualdubmod too?

Still, the audio was well out of sync on the dub, I think the avi file was crap, reckon it was a cinema filming or somthing, cos it wasn't in sync with the subtitles at all.

I'll keep trying i guess...

thanks

4. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

VSFilter works with all variants of VDub as well as AVISynth. Just rename to vsfilter.vdf and place in the plugin folder of VDubMod. For AVISynth place the dll in the plugin folder or specify the path in your script.