1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problems backing upa certain disc...is this common??

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by aldav45, Apr 21, 2004.

1. aldav45

aldav45 Member

I am currently trying to backup a disc which i purchased today and have had problems using ALL of my backup utilities. DVD x copy, decrypter and shrink ALL stop at 44% and won't go any further. are there certain discs which just CANNOT be backed up no matter what. I was under the impression that once the decryption was "cracked" by these programs you could backup no probs.....any ideas guys???

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Let's attempt to give us the EXACT steps you have taken so that we can some idea where things went wrong -

Let's start with DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter -

Pete

3. Psychtrip

Psychtrip Member

What movie are you trying to back up? Just because it is a newly purchased movie doesnt mean that it is a perfect copy, possible blemish on the disc. Just a thought.

4. aldav45

aldav45 Member

sorry pete,
    I tried to decrypt in file mode with decrypter and started to get retries at 44% and the time remaining went up to "unknown"
    with shrink I've put in the disc, it anylysed it and the hit backup...stopped at 44% encryption
    With X-copy, put in the disc, hit advance, checked all the boxes, made sure compression was O.K and then started to rip. it gave an error message sayin cannot read disc at 44%.
    the disc plays fine in my standalone player and on the pc. i'm really confused as the disc surface looks clean.

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Ok aldav45, If you are going to use DVD Decrypter in the file mode because DVD Shrink wouldn't rip it I can understand -- I would suggest that if you’re trying DVD Decrypter first all the time it might be a good time to look at a guide so you don’t shoot yourself in the foot :-(

I'm thinking that we have another route to try -

If you're having trouble getting VOB's from that disc as you seem to - you might want to consider using DVD Decrypter in the ISO mode to see if that would rip it for you and if you can get it there open it up in DVD Shrink, do your editing, compressing and then kick it out as an ISO and burn to disc using DVD Decrypter in ISO write - -

If you get stuck again at 44%, take the DVD back as that may well be your problem -

Get back to us with the ISO track -

Pete

6. aldav45

aldav45 Member

thanks pete, once again you've saven my bacon ;-)
    I am very grateful indeed for your help.
    it looks like it was a disc problem as i took it back and the new one backed up no probs. funny because the disc had no obvious imperfections or scratches.....
    anyhow, problem solved. ISO worked no probs but I ripped it in file mode and then shrunk and burned with shrink.
    Thank you once again for your valuable advice.

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

More than glad to have been of help -

It's that kind of post from someone you've helped that makes this hobby fun. :D)

"P"