1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems burning 750mb file with alcohol 120% on 700mb cdr

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by grimey57, Apr 18, 2004.

1. grimey57

grimey57 Guest

Is it the size(do I have to use a 800mb cdr)? It always says burning process failed(and this is for a general protected cd), and it will not burn. How can i burn this file(alcohol 120% must be used)?

Help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

If this is a video then make sure you use the video datatype because video cds are "Mode2" and can sqwueeze in up to 830ish MB while dataCDs are "Mode1" and can only fit ~718 (easily).

3. grimey57

grimey57 Guest

It's actually a game, and it's 750 mb(general protected cd is required for burning).

So basically I can only burn it with an 800mb cdr?

4. Praetor

FYI, BIN files and the such have a LOT of overhead so you shouldnt have any problems. (Most of the 750MB+ BINs for games ive encountered are really just ~700MB).

You might want to try CDRWIN5 or PadusDiscJuggler for burning BIN files if A120 is giving you problems. For 99% of games, select Mode1/2352 and burn away (just burn slow to be safe).

5. grimey57

grimey57 Guest

It's actually an img file(750 mb). There is also a 1kb ccd file, and a 30mb sub file.

I was told that you cannot burn with anything other than alcohol 120%(and you need to use general protected cd).

So how do I burn this with a 700mb cdr with alcohol 120%, or is there no way(need to get an 800mb cdr)?

6. Praetor

1. You should be able to burn in Alcohol using the CCD file
    2. You should also be able to burn via the native CloneCD application (which is what uses CCD/SUB/IMG)

I think you were incorrectly informed.

7. grimey57

grimey57 Guest

So alcohol 120% should bypass size limits? I say this because it doesn't even start burning, it says failed to burn automatically(but before burning so I don't waste a cd).

If I got an 800mb cdr would it give me the same error(do you think the size is the problem?)?

8. Praetor

Game images are COMMONLY in excess of 700MB.... you shouldnt have a problem :) (well... you shouldnt if u burn slow)

9. Ashen_Viz

Ashen_Viz Guest

Hey, your dialog piqued my intrest, as I too am trying to burn a game onto disc.
    So, my question is, can I use Nero for this, and just burn it as an image?
    Also, say for instance assuming that this is for the DC, in order to get the burned game disc to run, would I need to use utopia as a bootdisc? I've heard a few things about this, but only really have a limited understanding.
    Thanks!

10. Shike

Shike Member

Okay folks...I was disgusted that noone said the solution here. Most of the answers suck so far.

Using the datatype 2352 is what you normally use for game .bins...usually. As for alcohol itself, it is the only program I know of that beats various copy protection schemes (i think game x copy or somethin similar does too). That means nero ain't gonna do it for you if your game disc is copy protected. (www.makebackup.com -good resource to find out which copy protection meathod to use for all the latest games).

As for the space on the cd-r issue. You might try enabling overburn if you have a 800mb cd-r (under options/recording in alcohol120%). It also might work on some 700mb cd-r's but I am having problems with big .bins and 700mb cd-r's. This is all I know...a 800mb cd-r should work.

later

11. Praetor

You dont have to like the answer -- but the answer it is.

You failed to note that these are Mode1 images with that sector size. Completely different ballgame when it comes to Mode 2.

Good call on the A120 ... bad call on the GamesXCopy ... bad call on forgetting the new CloneCD and BlindWrite.

Don't quite see the revelance to the discussion -- you are correct in saying so (excluding everything before SD2 with some minor exceptions that is)

Or you can just check yourself using A-Ray :)

You criticize the rest of us for contributing answers yet you fail to give a solution and are personally stuck on the problem. As I've said before, game images are often in excess of 700MB but this is because of all the extra information being written to the image -- if you are concerned about diskspace, use ISOs because they strip out any extra information and give you one of the most compact sizes.

There are games (almost all of them March 2004+ games), that actually require 800MB or in some cases, 900MB media however this is by far not the norm because not all drives support such media and game developers tend to like to keep the marketbase as wide as possible.