1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems burning DVDs maybe related to ASUS Mobo (?)

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by nomore1, Mar 29, 2005.

1. nomore1

nomore1 Member

I have an Asus mobo p4b533-e with two WD disks in a raid 0 configuration (using the onboard promise tech card). I installed a CD burner, a regular DVD player and Life was good.

I recently purchased a liteon on 16x dvd burner and it won't work in the asus

Asus P4B533-E
    1 Gig pc 2700 Memory
    2 WD 80g drives mirrored
    1 liteon cd RW
    1 Matsumi (sp?) DVD
    1 Lite DVD 16 X

I tried anydvd and clonedvd2 I keep making coasters. I have updated the firmware on the dvd burner.
    About 3/4 of the way through it blows. I finally put the drive in a low end machine abit 550 with like a 10 gig drive (only 4.9 g free) , installed any dvd and clonedvd2 and it worked perfectly Same software, same media, same dvd burner, same o/s !!! I took the software to a friend's house, he has an asus too different model and it DID NOT work.

What is UP with the asus box ... ? Do they have issues with DVD burning

The config looks like IC Promise PDC20276, 2 channel IDE, supports ATA33/66/100/133 & RAID 0, 1 with a support of up to 4 ATAPI-devices" and "2 channel UltraDMA/100/66/33 Bus Master IDE (supports up to 4 ATAPI-devices"

2. vike

vike Member

I have an ASUS mobo p4p800e and have had no problem burning discs with my Pioneer DVR 106D. Try a different burner. This setup on my ASUS seems to work.

DVD Decrypter for rip.
    DVD Shrink for compress.
    Primo or Nero to burn.
    ASUS P4P800E
    Intel 2.8 Ghz P4
    WD 80 GB HD
    Pioneer DVR-106D DVD RW
    NVIDIA 6800GT Vid Card
    1024 MB Corsair RAM

3. squizzle

squizzle Active member

My cousin had that same problem (not an ASUS mobo though) and his problem was heat. Make sure you have good air flow in your case. Try slower burning speeds too and if that doesn't do it try different media.

4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

nomore1

Asus board for almost two years... Not One Coaster and I'm over clocked.

5. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

I have an Asus p4p800 -e - 2 DVD burners - 1 Liteon (8x) and 1 Pioneer (16x) - no problems. The only thing I noticed was the Pioneer burns most media better than the Liteon at higher speeds.

6. nomore1

nomore1 Member

I don't think its a heat problem and I don't think its a problem with the burner.

I put this burner in a POS PC ABIT mobo, 128 mg ram and a ~ 10g hard drive which only 4.9 gigs were free and it burned just fine.

I have been saying it only get 3/4 of the way thru and dies but it seems that the discs are burned from the center out (I did not know that and I assumed it was from the outer edge to the center) anyway only like a 1/4 inch of the center is burned and it dies.

I will not mount the drive this time and put it in front of the fan just to negate the heat issue but I don't think it will work. I also tried uninstalling the primary and secondary IDE controllers (windows XP) and re-added but still no burn.

Can anyone help ?

7. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

nomore1

Put it on an IDE cable all by itself, secondary, and try it along with just your main HDD on an IDE cable, primary, all by itself.

8. nomore1

nomore1 Member

I have put it on an IDE cable all by itself as the primary NO GO.

I can't put it on as the secondary with the HD. The HD doesn't use the normal onborad IDE controls They use the onboard promise technology RAID controllers.

9. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

That's right, I'm sorry I forgot about that.

Have you tried to update to the latest bios for your board from Asus, to make sure it's not a problem there?

10. nomore1

nomore1 Member

The Asus site is so !&*#$!#ed up that I can't find a bios upgrade for my board ... I'm really really disappointed with ASUS. When I built this machine I went with ASUS on a friend's recommendation. I was going to use ABIT now I'm sorry I didn't. The low end Abit works fine with this drive.

If anyone has any other input I'd appreciate it.

11. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

12. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

might be the raid configuration that is causing the problem & not the motherboard, something to think about

13. nomore1

nomore1 Member

RAID is on the motherboard so I kind of associate it with the motherboard.

I went to the Asus site and downloaded a bunch of updates (thank you to the person who provided the link in this thread).

Installed a new driver to the on board raid
    Installed IDE accelerators for the IDE controllers
    Upgraded BOIS to the latest and greatest was 1011 went to 1014 (didn't find a 1012, or a 1013 so they must have not been released)

You'd expect me to say something like it works now .. Well FAT CHANCE

I T G O T W O R S E

I couldn't even use the DVD drives in the box!

I uninstalled the IDE accelerator and I was able to use the DVDs.

I then decided to give DVD Dycryptor and Apollo DVD Copy a try. DVD Decrypt to the hard drive to ISO file then Apollo copy to the DVD burner. Guess What ... It worked!!!!! Can't say it worked like a dream cuz Its a two step pain that reads the DVD twice and writes the DVD twice but it worked.

I sent Slysoft an E-Mail asking them why I have so many problems with their product ... hope to get an answer soon.

P.S. I'm going to attempt to use "Safe" mode in AnyDVD but CloneDVD2 from Slysoft doesn't have a safe mode and I'm getting tired of making coasters. These do seem like the are real cool programs but if they don't work on the ASUS the they are NG, funny thing is they work on the ABIT low end (maybe too low end) PC.

14. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

nomore1

Thanks for the update and post back with what SlySoft says if you would.

Have you tried to use AnyDVD in the background and Nero Recode2, movie only with menus yet? That is the way I do mine and the results are great, hardly having any compression on a DVD5 from a DVD9.