1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems Burning...

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by nate88818, Jan 3, 2005.

1. maven1975

maven1975 Regular member

So i guess you are copying a backup.

What speed you burning at ?

As for media well it depends what works for you, unfortunately disc brand does not mean a good quality dye (the important part of a writeable disc).

If looking for Dye types i go for Fuji or Ritek, in the U.K i could recommend some discs, but i imagine you are not U.K based, therefore im not much good in that respect LOL.

2. leemask

leemask Guest

i am burning at 2x because i cant find any software to burn at 1x, can anyone recomend software and where can i download it

3. maven1975

maven1975 Regular member

x2 should be fine, think you need to try some different media.

4. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hello everyone...

nate88818, at what speed are you burning your DVD ?

I never tought in a million years that burning speed would make a difference, once the data is on the disk, it's on the disk right ?

Well wrong for me !
    Everything was 100% fine when I was burning cheap 2x DVD-R.

Bought some DVD-R that supported 4x, so started to burn at 4x, and bang. Freeze and skips near the end of the movies.

Decided to burn them at 2x (Tryed several media brands) and I could not believe it, burning at 2x solved *MY* problem.

Burn one at 2x, 4x, then try one at high speed.
    Play all 3 on the same DVD Player, and see if get different results.

Also, I did not try the DVDShrink set to 4300mb, I still kept my default.

I might just try that, the 4300mb destination.

5. nate88818

nate88818 Member

It's funny you should say try 2x....
    I never tried it because in decrypter my blank TY's only say it supports 4x,6x, and 8x..

Borrowed some 4x Ritek Ridata's from a friend.
    I borrowed them because they are +R's....I figured try the +R instead of the -R's...

Well he told me he burns at only 2x..have done 2 backups and they are great...

So what is it? Was it the 2x? Was it the different brand media? Was it because they are +R's??

Who knows...I will my -R TY's on 2x and see what happens...although I have already ordered some Ritek Ridata 4x +R's.

I have read that -R's are a bit more compatable with settop players...that is why I went with them...

What does everybody think? +R or -R?????

6. wowzers

wowzers Member

Nate888....I bought the exact same burner. I used everyone media known to man. Freezing, Pixalating, etc is all I got. I went into business selling coasters. I would not recommend that burner to anyone. CRAP! I had mine for a total of two months and went through over 300 discs of various types, memorex,ritek,fuji,Taiyo-Yuden. Could not get through 5 burns without having one turn out to be crap. My other prob with this burner is that it would not let me adjust burn settings once the disc was inserted into tray. burn settings would override and black out as soon as disc was loaded, so I was always stuck burning at 4x with certain media.Finally I had enuf and bought a pioneer burner for less than half the cost and am using ritek go4's with not a single issue. I'll leave it at that. Good luck!!

7. maven1975

maven1975 Regular member

I dont think the -/+R makes a difference really, i suspect the + media was better quality and therefore the burns where succesful.

8. J_man

J_man Regular member

As for (+ or -)Sony's like (+R) media best.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/136601

wowzers,
    I have a DRU-710A and use Verbatim 8X+R Branded media.
    No coasters at all. Using shrink and decrypter burning at 8x speed.

Are you getting buffer under runs???

9. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

Many Sony burners are really LiteOn, explaining why these models would prefer +R over -R. Go to http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters and put in your model infrormation to determine true manufacturer. Next trip to the computer store check out some of the high end Sony VAIO (RA-820G or more expensive) models. Under Device Manager you will see that the burner is a Pioneer DVD-108, not a Sony, in these high end Sony computers. That should tell you something.

10. whirlble

whirlble Member

nate888, i also have a 710a and have had no problems so far. i am burning (memorex) fujifilm -r's and have had no problems. they are 8x and did have to set the read speed limit on decrypter to 8x. that solved a lot of problems when i started to burn.