1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems connecting PC to TV using S-video

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by pistonfan, Oct 16, 2008.

1. pistonfan

pistonfan Member

alright, so i just bought a big S-video cable and a VGA to S-video converter cable that also has the red, white, and yellow wires on it. so i plugged in the VGA to S-video converter cable and then i plugged in the S-video cable to my tv, but im getting no picture.

i have looked online at videos of people hooking theirs up but i now fear that my graphics card does not support hooking up my tv to my computer!! my computer has no S-video output, which should have been my first clue...

i follow these videos online that say to right click on my desktop and then click settings and then click advanced, and then they say to click on this tab on the upper right for my graphics card, but all my computer says is SIS Utility Manager and then i get four options, Gamma Corrections, Video Settings, Product and Driver Information, and Driver Mode Settings. i see no options to connect my computer to my tv!!

please help does my graphics card really not support this option? i really hope it does because i have been hoping for a long time to do be able to do this!!

2. onya

onya Guest

Not looking promising so far..besides you havn't said what video card you have.

3. pistonfan

pistonfan Member

i dont know, how do i find out what video card i have??

4. Peshtigo

Peshtigo Regular member

The easy way. Use the Belarc Advisor. It will tell you EVERYTHING you have.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

5. pistonfan

pistonfan Member

ok, i did the belarc thing, and i must be missing something because i dont see where it says what video card i have.

here is some other info that it showed me so maybe it will help...

System Model - HP Pavilion 061 ED898AA-ABA a1213w 0n41211RE101SALMO00

Display - SiS 760 [Display adapter]
    hp f1523 [Monitor] (15.2"vis, s/n CNN5390HY4, September 2005)

Multimedia - Realtek AC'97 Audio
    Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device

hope this helps!!!

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

In your first post you mentioned being given options in your SIS Utility,the icon that says Video should say Video & Television,therefore tv is not supported,you will need to get one that does,preferably a graph card that has both VGA & HDMI (it will come with a vga converter) it enables you to run dual monitors or a tv & a monitor

By rights your tv will automatically be detected once you have the card,the only downside to using s-video is the blur of the icons & webpage writing,however when watching a dvd it's crystal clear

7. Peshtigo

Peshtigo Regular member

Sorry about the Belarc thing. I thought it detected video cards also.

8. pistonfan

pistonfan Member

damn, so what youre saying is that my tv wont work as a monitor at all with my computer? is it even worth buying a new graphics card? i was planning on buying a laptop in the next month or so, i guess ill use the s-video cable for that. as for getting a graphics card that will run dual monitors or a monitor and a tv, what kind of laptop would you suggest i buy for this?
    and while im asking for suggestions, what kind of laptop do you think i should buy just for regular purposes? i would probably be looking for something in the $700 range....

thanks for the help btw

9. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

compared to hdd's graphics cards are quite dear when bought new but would be the best way ,it depends what you want to do with it,adding a tv tuner will expand the old comp even further & since the comp has onboard sound is easy to hook up to a house stereo for real excellant sound setup when watching dvd's or listening to music or watching tv from the comp on the tv..lol...

OK i assume budget is tight the old comp may not be worth doing anything too apart from hooking up to a stereo for music pleasure,so regarding laptops i can't help however you need to think carefully what you want to do with it & then make sure the OS can support what you require

10. onya

onya Guest

Laptops..laptops..laptops! Nice to look at and nice to carry around. Consider the expense of upgrading almost anything they contain. Miniturisation comes at a price, and can you actually upgrade graphic cards and the like? High end units do allow such, but it's the mid to low end stuff that can really stump you.

If you have the means to move from unit to unit, then do so...... it all comes down to the cash factor.

11. jay2u

jay2u Member

Hi all,
    I connected my pc to my flat screen tv and everything went well. One day my pc started to run very slow(5 hours to get windows startedetc...) I wiped my MB clean and installed everything back on. Unfortunately I can't seem to connect my pc back on my tv.
    what did I do wrong?? Can anyone help me to solve this! I tried my laptop on the tv with the same vga cable and it works fine. So what could be the problem?

12. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Assuming the cable is properly seated is the tv showing up in the vid cards utility software,for future reference it's better to start your own topic thread

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  13. snowman76

snowman76 Member

I'm having the SAME problem. I'm wanting to watch a webcast tonight on my tv. I have audio from my pc to my receiver no problem. I just used on of those cables that you would use to hook up an ipod to a receiver. BUT, I thought I could just use one of those vga to s-video cables to hook up my tv to my pc...WRONG! The picture, well if you want to call it a picture, looked horrible. I started looking and apparently you need an s-video CARD in my pc to make it work.. Oh well, looks like I'll just be borrowing my wide screen lcd monitor here at work for the webcast... guess I should have researched this a bit harder.

14. jay2u

jay2u Member

thanx scorpNZ,
    but no the cable was correctly screwed in and all. Anyway I've since then found the sollution my resolution was set a number that didn't correspond with my tv.
    still thanx
    jay