1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems converting and burning

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by slnixon, Aug 23, 2003.

1. slnixon

slnixon Member

Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what I'm doing wrong? I convert an .avi file to an mpeg-2 using TMPGEnc, then burn as a DVD-Video in either Nero or Ulead. My problem is when I play it on the standalone, it plays every other 2 seconds or so of the video, and no audio. Do You have to adjust the fps in TMPGEnc? I'm using Princo discs btw. Any help appreciated, Thanks!!

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Once converted you need to use TMPGEnc DVD Author to make the mpeg2 file VOB and DVD compliant.

3. lannigan

lannigan Regular member

Oh Gosh, where do we start. Drop the princos and get riteks. Please.

Ok, there are many types of settings you can use to get tmpgenc to output an mpeg 2 file with good audio. I prefer .ac3 audio over .mp2 in tmpgenc. .mp2 audio is not as good as .ac3. not to mention, some dvd players just won't play it. That is why I had to learn how to make .ac3 in my movies.

Firstly, get virtual dub if you don't already have it.

Strip the movie by getting the .wav file from the .mp3 in the movie. If you don't know how to use virtual dub to do this, click open video file, than save .wav in the first column. Than, save just the video in virtual dub by clicking on video, direct stream copy, and under audio, no audio. Than click save as avi and away you go.

Now your movie is ready to work with.

Now, open tmpgenc. You should have a wizard thingy open up. Open only your video file. Set your bitrate to what you want. Uncheck the start encoding immediately button. I personally prefer clicking the ES(video) or elementary stream button after you do this to just get the video saved as an m2v file. Set that up and click ghostreduction and noise reduction under your settings. Fix up your aspect ratio the way you like it under video. Click start and go to bed (as you know the video takes like 18 hours or more.)

Now the .ac3 audio is easy. Use Besweet and ac3 machine to make a dolby digital .AC3 audio file from the .mp3 file you stripped from the original movie. Find guides at www.doom9.org

Now get a good authroing program, like tmpgenc dvd author and multiplex the .ac3 file from besweet and the .m2v file from tmpgenc.

Your result will be a perfectly compliant dvd stream with .ac3 surround sound that will bring you many hours of enjoyment. Whew! I'm done.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2003