1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems copying DVDs

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mleeber, Jan 26, 2004.

1. mleeber

mleeber Member

I have tried DVD XCopy XPress and Platinum to make backup copies of several of my DVDs and they complete with no errors but will not play in my DVD ROM in the computer or my standalone APEX AD-600A DVD player. Both the DVD ROM and APEX player dont see a disc. My DVD burner is a Sony DRU500A and I have the latest firmware. If I put the burned DVD in my SONY DRU500A it sees that it is a DVD but will not play in WinDVD but it will play in Windows Media Player 9 from the DRU500A. Any ideas???

Thanks!

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

mleeber,

Did you back it up to a RW media ?

Most standalone players often will not munch on an RW lunch, they are like spoiled kids, only eating +R or -R media.

Next, take your media to the car wash, a few drops of alcohol and a soft cotton cloth rubbing firmly in a small, circular motion, frequently lubricated by additional amount of alcohol taken internally: D

thirdly or foourthly (depending on how much alcohol was consuuumed in the previous step ;-P,
    You might want to do a change in media. A move on up to the Flats on the East Side (the expensive) side of town. Top Shelf, Name brand - Verbatim or Ritek are good.

Lets try that and see where we stand (or fall down, depending on the amount of - - Ooohh well, you know -

BTW, Welcome to the Club :)

Pete

PS Forgot to add, kill anything that sounds like "Roxio" - bury it in the Back-forty -

3. -LoNeR-

-LoNeR- Active member

mleeber,

try using powerDVD.... and if that doesent work change your program to CloneDVD combined with AnyDVD
    they work like a charm

but also u may consider (like ScubaPete suggested) trying different/better media

btw a few more details would help us to help you

just a suggestion

Dean

4. mleeber

mleeber Member

ScubaPete & LoNer:

I am burning to bulk DVD-Rs that I got at the same time I got the Sony, and I was one of the first ones to get my hands on the Sony about 14 months ago. These were "supposed" to be certified on the sony too. I did write some data only (video clips actually) to a Fuji DVD-R and I cannot read it in my DVD ROM either.

I am downloading Nero 6, I have 5.5 but with all the positive things I read here about 6 I figured it was a good upgrade. I will try PowerDVD and CloneDVD with the media I have, both the bulk and Fuji, and if it fails I will take a ride up to the East Side and get some Verbatim tomorrow.

Oh, by the way, these DVDs seem to work in my Toshiba Portege 7200 docking station. So, they work in:
    -my DRU500A which is where I burned them
    -Portege 7200 DVD Dock
    they don't work in:
    -My Hitachi DVD-ROM in the same Athlon based PC where my DRU500A is
    -My standalone Apex AD-600A DVD Player

Thanks!
    Mark

5. -LoNeR-

-LoNeR- Active member

alright no problem u try it out see what you get

then let us no if you have any more problems

l8r

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Ya know -LoNeR, I’m starting to like you but you have to stop spending money -

Use DVD43 instead of AnyDVD samething, mine’s FREE !!!

Mleeber,

Let’s take a second and check compatibility, OK ?

Check your players here - ->

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php

“P”

7. -LoNeR-

-LoNeR- Active member

scubapete

no offence but money is just money and as the saying goes "if it aint broke dont fix it" this method is fast reliable and besides for newbies with sum money to spare i think its a good idea ;-)

and thanks for the pat on the back btw

:)

jee i wonder how mleeber is getting on?.....

just sumat to ponder

l8r
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Hey! if life was perfect
    What would be the point?[/small]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2004
  8. mleeber

mleeber Member

Afternoon Gents! I only got as far as trying CloneDVD on the bulk media. Same results! My stand alone DVD Player is on the 'good' list as far as compatibility goes. I will try PowerDVD and burn to a fuji tonight. PowerDVD is just a player...right?

Thanks!

9. mleeber

mleeber Member

By the way, this may belong in a different thread but is there an easy way to shrink a DVD so that it will fit on a 512MB SD card for playback on my iPaq?

Thanks!

10. -LoNeR-

-LoNeR- Active member

there might...

but it will be totall crap quality

do you no the quality of a Vcd?

it will be worse

l8r

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

LoNeR,

Shrink a DVD to 512MB ??

Are you sure you're not in over your head ??

"P"

12. -LoNeR-

-LoNeR- Active member

hey,

i dont know if there is or not i just said that there might be a way, afterall if you dont fully no a subject u shouldent act as if you do..... you might ruffle a few feathers ;-)

lol, is there a program that will?

l8r

13. mleeber

mleeber Member

There is a program called DVD to Pocket PC that advertises that they can get a DVD into 128MB without any real noticable degradation. Keep in mind that the resolution is a max of 320x240 so the picture is much smaller than broadcast size. Still, seems to me that with the audio and all you would be pushing 512mb. There is a demo of the DVD to Pocket PC app but it is limited to 5 minutes of video so it does me absolutely no good to try it. I have to believe that there is another way to accomplish this with all the tools out there.

I am about to load PowerDVD...I will let you know what happens.

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I'd love to hear the outcome - Imagine the compression ratio - WOW !!

OK ya both have me thinkin' - I have a few toys at my disposal I'm going to try something - Like the Governor of California once said, "I'll be back "

"P"

15. -LoNeR-

-LoNeR- Active member

ok gr8

and we will be waiting ;-)

l8r

16. mleeber

mleeber Member

OK, I loaded the trial of PowerDVD V5 and tried to read one of the many DVDs that I burned. The message I got was "A Disc with and unsupported format in drive D:".

The movies that I have backed up are: James Bond - Die Another Day, Rugrats Go Wild and Bruce Almighty. There are two versions of 007, one with DVD XCopy platinum and one with CloneDVD. Both work in the DRU-500A but not the DVD-ROM.

Drive D is my Hitachi DVD ROM that came out of a DELL XPS-T800.

The same disc in Drive E: (my sony DRU-500A) works fine.

I got these bulk DVD -R discs from MeritLine and they were advertised and specifically working with the DRU-500A. They are silver on the top and purple on the bottom.

Could it be that my DVD-ROM and Standalone unit (Apex AD-600A) are so old that they are incompatible? The AD-600A is on the compatibility list....

Looks like the next step is to head over to the East side and get some pricey media!

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

18. Askar

Askar Member

I use DVD Decryptor and then DVD Shrink and then burn to DVD with Nero burning rom. I have done many dvd and never had one fail to play in either my computer or stand alone player. I use prodisc DVDs which are just over $1 each.

19. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

UPDATE:

Worked with "Bruce Almighty", after more compression than I care to think about, the best I could come up with was 846MB. Then with a Re-Author I was gaining only about 7 MB per backup -

If there is a professional program out there claiming to get it to 512MB, Buy It !!

"P"

20. mleeber

mleeber Member

OK guys, I took one of my backup DVDs to a friends house and it works on his RCA DVD Player so clearly the Apex AD-600 is too old to play "backups" and the DVD-ROM in my computer is suffering from the same malady. So I need a couple new toys. What are the reccomended PC and standalone DVD players these days?

Thanks!