1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems encoding

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by GApeach74, Apr 6, 2003.

1. GApeach74

GApeach74 Member

Hi,
    I have been having probems encoding some of my files. When I check the avi file the picture and sound are fine. Once I encode them, using TMPGEnc, it starts out fine but I've had one file that the picture goes out (half way through to the end)and a couple that the sound goes out (half way through to the end). Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this is happening?

Thank you.

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Possibly a damaged video or audio stream in the avi file! Use a program called avifixed to attempt to find/fix and bad frames. But first, did you run the avi through anything like virtualdub first!!

3. GApeach74

GApeach74 Member

The only thing I did first,which I do to all the files before I encode them, was extract the wave using virtualdub. I do that first and use the wav file when encoding it. I only know the basics when it comes to all of this, that's the only thing I know to use virtualdub for.

4. Dela

No No No, do this

open the avi in virtualdub

1. click video - direct stream copy
    2. click audio - full processing mode
    3. click audio - compression. select no compression pcm and click ok
    4. click file - save avi

Now the avi you save will work with TMPGEnc and the audio will be in sync!

5. GApeach74

GApeach74 Member

I just attempted to use virtualdub according to the steps below (above). When I try to save the avi, an error pops up that says "No audio decompressor could be found to decompress the source audio format." Is there another utility that I need?

6. Dela

hmmm, check with gspot to see what audio codec has been used! If its ac3 audio, then things will be a little harder to do!

7. GApeach74

GApeach74 Member

Ok...now who or what is gspot? I apologize, but I only know the basics to all of this. I hope that I'm not being a nuisance. Thanks!

8. Dela

Gspot searches the file and tells you what codecs are needed to play it back correctly! Also, the codecs it shows are needed when encoding or authoring files!