1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problems following guide..

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by amerex, Dec 1, 2003.

1. amerex

amerex Member

hi,

i got to the point where I have my wav file converted to AC3 format.

Now, i am on number 3. i dont get what it wants me to do now. i followed the link, but i am not sure where i should go from there...

3. Now do you follow the mpgenc encode guide as usual but you leave the audio source empty and encode

How do I convert an AC3 audio file or DivX with AC3 to an audio file?
    If you have a DivX with AC3 start here if you only have an AC3 file skip to step 2.
    1. First open the DivX in Virtualdub, select under Audio->Direct Stream Copy and File->Save as Wav to save the ac3, name it as file.AC3 because VirtualDub will NOT convert it to wav only copy the AC3 audio to a single file.
    2. Convert the AC3 audio to MP2 audio with BeSweetGUI, you find a guide over at doom9 here if you don't how to use it. (If you get an error when converting to mp2 you could try the azid in besweet instead. Download first azid. Click on azid2 in the besweet. Select azid.exe and the AC3 as source and select a new wav and convert to wav and last do you convert the wav to mpeg audio with TMPGEnc, select the wav as audio source when converting in next step).
    3. Now do you follow the TMPGEnc encode guide as usual but you leave the audio source empty and encode.
    4. Last do you multiplex, join the video together with the mp2 audio, read here how and then burn or cut the video as usual.
    If this do not work use GraphEdit to convert the AC3 to wav, read here how to use it.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 1 Dec 2003 1:05 PM

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

What are you trying to do??? Because from what I can see the Guide that you are useing is Quite old and there is probably an easier way but I can"t even figure out what you are trying to do or even what your Problem is which you seem to have failed to mention...Can you Just explain what you are trying to do and what the Problem is in More detail and it will be easier to help....Cheers

3. amerex

amerex Member

hi,

i'm trying to convert a divx movie with ac3 audio with TMPGEnc.

i was using these guides, refered by some members on the this site, to achieve this.

this is the link...

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/tmpgenc.htm

i tried this method but it didnt work. if you look at the bottom of this explaination, theres another "method" link.
    i followed that link, and this is where i am at now.
    i'm on step number 3.
    this is where i am having problems.

thanks

4. amerex

amerex Member

i just noticed that my movie is not divx, but xvid with ac3. will this make a different when refering to the guide thats for divx with ac3?

thanks

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Now a Days you do not need anything special when encodeing a File with AC3 audio with Tmpgenc because there is Now a AC3 decoder that works with Tmpgenc that will allow you to encode the AVI directly in Tmpgenc without extracting the audio..Just install this :
    http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/AC3ACM/AC3ACM.zip
    Now Tmpgenc will be able to decode AC3 audio...You just Load the File into Tmpgenc and Start encodeing...But because your File is XviD and Not DivX there could be a Problem because Tmpgenc doesn"t like Files encoded useing this codec, If Tmpgenc gives you an error while encodeing this file you just might need to Frameserve the File to Tmpgenc useing "Virtual Dub" but we will cross the Bridge when we come to it...So First install the AC3 decoder then load your file into Tmpgenc and encode it to the Format you want and if it errors out while encodeing then post back and I"ll try to explain how to Frameserve useing Virtual Dub.....Cheers

6. amerex

amerex Member

hi,

well you've helped me more then anyone else.
    i appreciate it alot. thanks

as for TMPGEnc. i have been trying to get it to work for a while now. i keep getting this error message when i load the movie and hit start. "the error occurred when ACM was initialized"

i got this message even after installing the ac3 codec you linked me to.

any idea whats causing this?

thanks again

7. Minion

Minion Senior member

Hi, Well that is Strange...The ACM Error has to do with the "Audio compression manager" which in this case is haveing Problems with the audio in your file which it shouldn"t with the AC3 ACM decoder installed because it works fine on my PC...The only other think I can sugest is to use a Little tool called "Decompress.exe" to decompress the audio in your AVI file....If you message me with your e-mail I will send it to you, it will turn your AVI with compressed Audio to an AVI with uncompressed audio which tmpgenc will happilly encode.....Cheers

8. amerex

amerex Member

hey, yeah, I dont get what the AMC error message was about, but thanks for clearing it up for me.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2003
  9. amerex

amerex Member

would the program happen to be called power star decompress v2?

10. Minion

Minion Senior member

No...It is Just a Small Utility called "Decompress.exe" it is Freeware and it comes with a Crappy VCD encoder called AVI2VCD..You can download AVI2VCD here:
    http://home.cogeco.ca/~avi2vcd/rq4dl/avi2vcd_ver1_4_2.zip
    Inside the Folder will be a File called "Decompress.exe" save this File and get rid of the rest and use it to Turn your AVI with Compressed audio to a AVI file with Uncompressed Audio and then use the AVI with Uncompressed audio to encode in tmpgenc...good Luck

11. amerex

amerex Member

yeah, after i posted that last message i sought after decompress.exe and converted the avi into a file with pcm extention.

tried using TMPGEnc, however, I am still getting that same message.

i think i give up on it. i am just going to buy a dvd player that supports a variety of formats.

thanks so very much for all your help! it was greatly appreciated.

12. Minion

Minion Senior member

The File should Have an AVI extention, But named something like this "MyMovie_pcm.avi" and for it to Properly decode the AC3 to Wav you will need to have a AC3 decoder of some sort installed...The Problem Might even be that it is a XviD file because a Lot of Programs Do not like the XviD codec...You can also try to use a different Mpeg encoder Like the "MainConcept Encoder" it will accept More formats than Tmpgenc and is Less Buggy and Up to 3 Times as Fast..If you want to try it then Message me with your e-mail address and i"ll try to find it for you...Cheers

13. amerex

amerex Member

hey mate. i should have said that the ending was pcm not the extention. the extention come out as avi.

i'll be more the happy to try that other decoding software.
    i'll go look for it right now.

thanks

14. amerex

amerex Member

hey mate, it worked beautifully :)

all i need to do now is convert all 3 movies into one so i can burn it.

the movies are saving private ryan which is really long, so when i DLed it, it came as 3 seperate avi files.

thanks for all your help. you ahve no idea how happy i am!!!!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2003