1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems Installing DRX500UL in XP

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by prizos, Feb 27, 2003.

1. prizos

prizos Guest

I have just taken delivery of my brand new Sony DRX500UL. Hooked it up to the Sony laptop through i.Link (6pin to 4pin cable) expecting it to work first time. Needless to say it didn't.

The laptop recognises that I have attached something to the iLink port as the IE1394 host controller is installed but in the CD/DVD section of device manager i just get 'Sony iLINK DRIVE IE1394 SBP2 Device' with an exclamation mark on the icon. On further examination of this it appears that the 'device will not start Error 10' which sounds like its expecting a driver. The device will stay there for a while and then dissapear. Never to be seen again until I reboot or power up the drive.

I'm now on day 4 of trying to get this drive to be recognised by XP. I have exhausted all avenues with Sony storage and laptop support and Microsoft were not entirely helpful. Can anyone please put me out of my misery.

Details of setup are:
    Sony DRX500UL
    Sony Vaio Laptop PCG-GRX560P
    Windows XP Service Pack 1

Worthy of note, in the system event log SBP2PORT.SYS keeps reporting an error 'Driver detected an internal error in its data structures for .' and that is it. The timing of these errors coincides when the SBP2 drive dissapears.

2. xgasman

xgasman Member

Have you made sure that the dvd drive and computer are on before plugging the cables into your computer? Is drive detected? If so then install software. This is according to directions supplied with the drive. The drive must be on the first time you plug in the cable to be detected and installed.

3. prizos

prizos Guest

Yes I have tried every conceivable permutation of switching on laptop and drive and plugging cables in. It doesn't appear to make any difference.

I have a feeling it is related to Q329256 issue with XP SP1 and/or Q329909 also with XP SP1 - I have requetsed the patches from Microsoft to see if it makes any difference.

I appreciate your reply - have you managed to get a similar drive working. I would appreciate if you could let me know your config. Somebody must have got this working with XP SP1 and a laptop. Oh well... I'll keep pluging away.

4. prizos

prizos Guest

I have just had another round of shouting and being passed between Sony Storage support and Sony Laptop support.

I don't believe that anyone has ever got a Sony DRX500UL external drive working with a Sony Laptop running XP (or any laptop come to that). Will someone please prove me wrong before I throw the thing in the trash.