Problems installing Large Hard Drive after Softmod

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by MLOYLLO, Jan 17, 2006.

1. MLOYLLO

MLOYLLO Regular member

I did the softmod no problem, intalled all the apps off Slayer auto installer 2.6. I backed all drives up to my cpu via ftp. Everything was great until. I tried doing what they call a hot swap I started the x box with Slayers auto installer in the drive and the softmodded retail hard drive. I went to full rebuild large HD and I MEANT to switch the ribbon cable and power supply to the new 200GB Maxtor, but forgot cause my 5 year old is allways talking, asking me ?'S. Anyway my fault,I then hit A and it started to formatt and rebuild the old drive before a realized what I'd done and hit the power. Now it wont bring up any dashboard, boot with slayers, and of course FTP. I can play games on original disks. I put in splinter cell and the linux game save is gone and I can't use the MS dashboard to copy it over again with my action replay. Any suggestions? What good are the backups on my cpu if I can't FTP. If there is any way to make a bootable restore disks with c and e, or Prepare and unlock my new 200GB paper weight using my CPU. Thanks in advance.

2. kruk01

kruk01 Member

I'm having a similar situation. I was trying to add some programs with slayers 2.6. I selected a full reinstall/rebuild of a retail Hdd, which was what I have. Now the only thing that I get is the Microsoft xbox dash. My bax was hardmodded with a homegrown chip. I haven't gotten much help except "reinstall Slayers" etc. Which will not work because my box won't read anything but retail disks. I hope someone throws us a line.

3. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

MLOYLLO:

There is a program called "xboxhdm." I definitely recommend this program (as I have used it personally). Keep your old drive plugged in if you want, use this program to erase everything, and then rebuild from scratch (if you want). The good thing about xboxhdm is that you make the xbox hard drive on your cpu, so you can do the same with your maxtor 200GB. I'll find a tutorial for you if you are interested.

kruk01:

You can either choose to softmod it, or you can use xboxhdm as well to reformat the hard drive you have now, and reflash the bios and install the dashboard again with Slayers. Your choice.

4. steimy

steimy Active member

they way i did mine with Slayer was to FORMAT the drive,
    then use slayer to reistall all the apps and such.
    Here is a tutorial on doing that. Just use the retail option instead of the large HDD option as it was made for replacing the HDD with a larger one.
    http://www.teammodders.com/viewtopic.php?t=672

Last edited: Jan 19, 2006
  5. MLOYLLO

MLOYLLO Regular member

Quadratic

Thanks for you time. My retail HD started working again after I played a game and hit pause and let it sit over night. I hit eject and there the ms dashboard was. All by mistake though. Redid the linux splinter cell exploit and all is well.

What I'm really having trouble with now is my Maxtor 200 GB and "XBOXHDM". I've been playing with both for three days now and reading idots tuturial, read me, about this cd, ext.

Well let me tell you what I've done, I created the iso complete with my eepprom and drives c and e and succestfully booted my 3 gig dell from it with the Maxtor 200 GB as the primary master. Gone to option one and one again 1)Build a new hard drive from scratch and formatted the partitions and thought I was done so I rebooted and went to option 3. I then locked it and threw it in the x box and it won't boot, just error's 6,7,13,21 concerning the hd.

I'd love to look at a good in depth tutorial. Some funtions and menu's aren't covered very well on idots and just plain wrong on others. So the last 2 days I've been tring to unlock it and start over. Any Idea's?

kruk01, steimy

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/228232
    great tut on softmodding

I've got slayers 2.6 iso and it works lovely with the retail HD. With the fresh 200 GB maxtor it wont boot slayers, or anything for that matter. I've even started the console up with the retail and gotten to slayers menus and the switched the power and ide cable to the new M 200 GB and cant format it at least with any success in other words I can't boot from it.
    , thats when I started screwing with XBOXHDM.

Talk to yall soon thanks

6. addicted2

addicted2 Member

7. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Error 6 means you're using an xbox that's locked in combination with another motherboard. In other words, it means that you might've accidently entered the wrong lock code when you were locking it with xboxhdm. Error 7 means that the xbox cannot communicate with the hard drive. Re-open the xbox and see if the cables are in tightly. Error 13 is dashboard failure. Not surprised at this if you're getting Error 7 codes. Error 21 is....error 21. Has no real specific purpose, just displays when the xbox gets "lost" in it's process.

I think the issue might be that you didn't enter the lock code correctly. If you did then my apologies, but that error 6 code just doesn't show randomly.

8. liquid101

liquid101 Member

hi, im having a simlar prob. that ive got a 300 gb hard drive and when ive installed "xboxhdm 1.9" and put it in my xbox its saying that its only got 131gb or somthing. ive got slayer 2.6 but i just wanted to know is slayer the right program to use to get the other 169gb that i should have on my hd. i dont know why nobody has given a simple anzwer to this.

i have evox dashboard install with a softmod.

9. dylanc

dylanc Member

I also put in a 320 GB drive. xbhdm worked great and I could see all of thhe drive, but when I reinstalled my softmod I lost everything above 120 GB.

Anyone figure this out

10. liquid101

liquid101 Member

ive found that u have to download slayer 2.6. its a bit out dated but it will get it so u can see all ur drives. it works a treat. then just install xbmc or evox and it should be ok again. well thats wat i found.

btw there is a program that makes it so xbmc is the starting program. im finished with modding my xbox now and it works great.

happy as larry. just like to say a big thank you to all the people that helped me and a huge thank you for everone that has made xbox modding possible

PEACE OUT PEOPLE

11. MLOYLLO

MLOYLLO Regular member

Sounds good.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  12. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

13. dylanc

dylanc Member

THERETURN:

Yep Followed that. worked well. Except it didn't seem to make a virtual C drive (or something). When I installed the HDD into the xbox it booted into the orig MS dashboard. I then reinstalled my softmod, and then ftp'd my C and E folder (from my linux folder I had made to burn to DVD). Rebooted and all was good. Then relaunched evox, turned on the G drive, and formatted it, then rebooted xbmc and was (and is good). Except I have anf F and a G. I would prefer just an F, but whatever :)

14. kruk01

kruk01 Member

I know this a little late. But After figuring out that I had an NTSC/J version box, I scourned the net for an NTSC/J version of the soft mod games but to no avail. I then decided to Chip my box and it's been running like a dream ever since. I used an X3 with an X3 control panel. I've chipped 3 boxes since my last post. 2X3 and 1 Xenium gold. They all work well. Thanks yall for the info and help. If I can ever help anyone please just ask.

Kruk01

15. MLOYLLO

MLOYLLO Regular member

Congrats, But you could softmod for free!

16. djq122

djq122 Guest

Hey liquid, whats this about a G drive on a soft mod? I thought this wasn't possible....I've tried enabling G in unleash, formatting it in Slayer, it still doesn't appear as an accessible drive

17. onthedge

onthedge Guest

ok, so using Slayers install, u can actually hot swap a new HDD? btw, what do u think would be betetr to use: Slayers 2.6 or xboxhdm?

18. MLOYLLO

MLOYLLO Regular member

I used both, first xboxhdm to build and most importanly lock my new 200 GB. Maxtor. Then I "think" I used the splinter cell hack again and then booted SlaYers 2.6 and followed the promts and installed all the apps on F. I know that is a sure way, because its the only way I've done it and I'm thrilled. If you take that route I can surely help you if you have a ?..............

Hint.......you can get your c and e files off of slayers 2.6 for use on your xboxhdm disk.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  19. onthedge

onthedge Guest

do u need to do the splinter cell hack if u use slayers so long as the drive is locked?

20. MLOYLLO

MLOYLLO Regular member

If the contents of your c and e partitions are those of a SC modded console you shouldn't have to the hack again and it will boot slaYers..