1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problems playing 3ivx encoded movies on Quicktime Alternative

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by fcp79, Aug 17, 2005.

1. fcp79

fcp79 Guest

Is there any way to play 3ivx encoded movie files using Quicktime Alternative? I would use the regular Quicktime Player but I like the simplicity of the the Alternative, plus it allows me to play shockwave files which I was not able to do using the Real Quicktime Player. I donwloaded the 3ivx codec but it doesn't seem to matter.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

No need to play them back via quicktime alt. They should playback fine via reqular dshow. 3ivX installs a video decoder, audio decoder and splitter. You can also use a different video decoder (say ffdshow or XviD), different audio decoder (core aac or ffdshow) and splitter (haali's).

3. fcp79

fcp79 Guest

Thanks for the help, but neither the FFDShow or the 3ivx decoder improved my situation. When I play the files on either Qucktime Alternative or on Real Player, I get audio but no video. Is it a simply a mmater of making changing the file types that each media player has control over.

4. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Not sure what you mean by playing with quicktime alt. I was under the impression that it was a way of installing qt codecs without installing qt. Although I believe that it does include Media Player Classic, perhaps you mean that? If so then you would need to change mov from quicktime to dshow in the config to get it to use dshow for .mov playback.

5. Rikoshay

Rikoshay Regular member

If you're talking about the player that comes with QuickTime Alternative and looks like Windows Media Player 6.4xx, and it plays Macromedia Shockwave Flash files, then THAT is Media Player Classic by Gabast, and, IMO, the best player ever created. I think your original question was about playing 3ivX encoded files with Media Player Classic, correct? Well, first off you should go with FFDShow to run the codec, but in order to do that, you need to configure FFDShow's video codec thing when you install it and change "other MPEG-4 (3ivX, ect.)" or something like that to be handled by FFDShow's decoder. I'm not really sure right now if those are exact steps, but you can just improvise the rest. If you also ment to change .mov to play in DShow, then just go to Options, then Formats, then highlight .mov, and on the far right of that where it says "Quicktime", it has a drop-box that you can change to "Direct Show" or "DShow" or whatever. Hope that helped!