1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problems playing some dvds with liteon burner

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mhglezpk, Mar 2, 2005.

1. mhglezpk

mhglezpk Guest

i recently bought a liteon burner and i can play some dvds, but some others like the recruit i can't. something about codecs. i don't really understand that stuff. help please.

2. BigJonson

BigJonson Member

I have a Lite-On 851S and so far I have had no problems playing anything. I guess I have been lucky so far.

3. mhglezpk

mhglezpk Guest

yes you are. do you understand codecs, or anybody for that matter, i really need to get this going. thanks.

4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

an original should just play with the software used! like powerDVD is good

5. brobear

brobear Guest

From the Glossary:
    Codec stands for [bold]Co[/bold]der/[bold]Dec[/bold]oder. Basically it is a piece of software or a driver that adds a support for certain video/audio format for your operating system. With codec, your system recognizes the format the codec is built for and allows you to play the audio/video file (=decode) or in some cases, to change another audio/video file into that format (=(en)code).

Which means if you're playing DVDs, you have the DVD Video codec. Since the DVD Video format is standard, the codec handles all DVDs (or should). If the disc you are trying to play is good, then I would suspect the software you're using. Just remember, because a disc is new and has a shiny surface doesn't mean the press was good. I've had new discs with errors that prevented them from playing.

6. brobear

brobear Guest

InterVideo has a trial for one of the better DVD player programs, WinDVD6. Check the system requirements and software requirements before downloading and installing. Even with my newer system, I had to install a couple of supporting programs, they're free. The link is http://www.intervideo.com .

7. mhglezpk

mhglezpk Guest

first of all, thanks for the responses. the dvd is new, it came from a store with original box and all. the dvd installs a program that comes with it, and that won't play the movie because it says that there's no dvd navigator. the other program which came with the dvd burner won't play it either saying that i do not have the codec, which is why i wanted to know what that was.

8. mhglezpk

mhglezpk Guest

i am currently on a trip with the robotics team at georgia, but when i get back i will try to get some of those programs. do you know about downloading codecs?

9. brobear

brobear Guest

It's no different from downloading any other software. Locate what you need for a particular function and download and install. As an example, here is a site that downloads codecs. This one is for encoding, so may or may not have a player, I didn't check it closely. It appears what you need is a good (complete) player program instead of codecs. Try the http://www.intervideo.com for the trial download of WinDVD6. If it requires any additional software, it is free and downloadable off the net. Pay attention to software and system requirements for the program.

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

What software came with your drive (probably power dvd 5)?It should work. Hey brobear could problem be ASPI or directX?

11. brobear

brobear Guest

Probably not. This PC is playing some DVDs but not others. If ASPI, it would be a full time problem, not just intermittent. I fear the use of ASPI as a solution has been much over worked.

I'd check for firmware updates for the drive. However, that is just routine maintenance and not necessarily a fix. Though on occasion, firmware has straightened up some strange problems. Lite-On lists firmware updates on their support site.

ASPI is very rarely needed anymore. Programs like Nero that sometimes use it have their own version inside the program. Windows works very well with Microsoft's SPTI interface.

DirectX is included with the OS and even the older versions have it. We've been playing DVDs for some time now. So, if drives are compatible with DVD ROM; then with a good player app, they should play the DVDs. If one pays attention, DirectX is updated with the windows updates. So, if the PCs are being updated properly, they should be up to date on DirectX.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2005
  12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I knew you would know.

13. brobear

brobear Guest

Not really Mort. I'm just giving info that covers most situations; theres always something different it seems. Glad you pulled me away from just discussing codecs and got me looking to other issues.

Lite-On called for an update on the firmware for the 851. LDW-851S, DR8GS0P.zip, Windows, 06/24/04 So, before doing anything else, the firmware should be updated just to eliminate that possibility. This would be especially important if all those DVDs aren't factory ROMs and some are backups on various manufacturers' recordable media. We haven't asked all the questions yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2005
  14. brobear

brobear Guest

15. mhglezpk

mhglezpk Guest

thanks for all the help, i'm getting started with what you said, and i'll keep you informed of what happened.