1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems reading DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by HelloWrld, Mar 15, 2004.

1. HelloWrld

HelloWrld Member

I made backups of my data on DVDs before I wiped my hard drive clean and started over. Once I was up and running again I loaded the essential data from the DVDs back onto the new system. That was about a year ago. Now I am trying to access the same DVDs again and windows is showing that it's a blank DVD. I tried to just rip the thing using DVD Decrypter, but I got this error

"UDF File System Parsing Failed! Reason: Function 'UDFFindPartition' returned 0."

Any ideas why this happened and how to fix it so that I can access my DVDs again.

Thanks,
    EMAN

2. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

Make sure the disc is as clean as possible, that there are no nasty fingerprints on it and no big scratches. Some scratches can be fixed with appropriate cd-repair kits.

Try to read the disc in the drive you burnt it in. Burners usually have stronger lasers and they are able to read faulty discs better than just DVD-ROM drives.

Another issue might be a thing called laser-rot, which means that some discs (especially poor quality media) simply lose part of the data on the disc as time goes by. If this is the case, then I don't know of any way to undue the damage.

Hope you get your data back!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2004