1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems reading my burned CDs

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by JHuynh85, Aug 31, 2004.

1. JHuynh85

JHuynh85 Member

I've recently been having problems reading from CDs which I burn. When I put the CD in, the drive's lights will blink for a few minutes as if it's reading, but then a window will pop up saying that there is no CD in the drive. Once in awhile the drive will be able to read the CD, but then when I try to open the contents the drive would start trying to read from the CD again and freeze up the computer.

I only have this problem when reading CDs which I have recently burned. This includes VCDs, music CDs, and backups. I think the problem is software rather than hardware because commercial CDs or CDs which I've burned in the past work fine.

I've tried using Alcohol 120%, re-installing Nero, updating my burner's firmware, and installing the latest ASPI layer from Adaptec, but neither solution worked.

Please help, I'm at my wit's end here :(

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Make/model burner? Firmware version?

How old is the burner?

Will the recently burned media work in a different drive?

It's possible that your burner is dying and isn't able to burn properly anymore.

3. JHuynh85

JHuynh85 Member

[bold]Burner[/bold]
    ASUS CRW-4824AH, Firmware v0.89 (latest)

[bold]ASPI[/bold]
    Nero ASPI
    Adaptec 4.71

[bold]Note:[/bold] When I checked the ASPI layers with Nero InfoTool, it says that the System ASPI (I presume the Adaptec one) has been corrupted whereas the Nero one is working properly. However, when I used Adaptec's installation verification utility (aspichk.exe), it says that the layer is "properly installed and fully functional". What's going on here and would it have anything to do with my problem?

No, I've already tested the CDs on multiple computers without any luck.

The burner is relatively new, it came with my HP Pavilion which I got a few months ago.

My problem seems to be similar to the one in this thread: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/104884

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  4. JHuynh85

JHuynh85 Member

I finally figured out my problem! It's because of these bloody Mitsumi CD-Rs I've been using. I've switched to a new brand and now everything is just dandy.

Let this be a warning to everyone, STEER CLEAR OF MITSUMI CD-Rs!!

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Cool beans :)

Good media goes a long way doesn't it?