1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems ripping

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by radgoate, Dec 29, 2004.

1. radgoate

radgoate Guest

Hi, hope you can help... I'm having trouble ripping to HD (haven't got far enough to consider burning yet!).
    I have DVDshrink and DVDdecrypt.
    I tried ripping with DVDshrink, and got error saying couldn't access section/file/module (or something) due to encryption. Following your adice, I tried DVDdecrypt. I selected file mode, all files, and clicked DVD => HD.
    The copy/decrypt process started, but after about 20 minutes the PC froze solid (no mouse movement, no disk activity, etc.). I powered off & on, and tried again. Each time I do this, the delay before the freeze gets shorter. Any idea why?
    Also, can anyone explain, in simple terms, how I get all those files (about 6 gigs worth) onto a blank DVD - every guide I've read mentions ISO format and a limit of 4.3 Gig. Thanks.
    Some spec details of my PC: Compaq Deskpro PIII 650 with 130GB samsung HDD, Nero 6 installed, Samsung DVD-ROM reader (Pioneer DVD/CD re-writer).

2. zippyd

zippyd Active member

I'm thinking maybe your little P3 is working a bit too hard. Also, you didn't mention how much RAM you have or what windows version you are running.
    Even if we get this figured out, I hope you realize that with your processor, it's probably going to take 6-9 hours to copy a disc.

3. jaylive

jaylive Member

i agree with zippy. although you have a huge hdd, a p3/650 is very underpowered for this type of function. i'm pretty sure that is where your problem is.

4. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

nevermind; what he said

Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  5. radgoate

radgoate Guest

I take your point that a PIII is a bit yesterday, but it did start to work - it had copied half a dozen files before freezing the first time.
    I read somewhere on this site about heat being problem - which might explain why it took less and less time to freeze after each re-boot. I'll try again when the PC starts from cold, and see how far it gets.
    AFAIK heat has never been an issue with this PC before, and it is often on all day.
    If I check the 'low priority' might it help? I don't mind waiting 6-9 hours (I can sleep) for a backup/copy, as long as I get one.
    I'm running XP home with 128MB ram - low I know, but it has worked fine up til now, and I've burned lots of CD-Rs on it.

6. dvdj

dvdj Member

I agree p3 at 650 just isn't powerful enough for the demands that video work puts on your cpu if a new processor isn't in your budget then you at min. need to increase your ram to at least 512mb or more for your cpu to even have a chance at backing up dvd's
    just for an fyi thing go into task manager while you are ripping a dvd your cpu is probably no make that definately at 100% and with it's limited power and resources it overloads and freezes up so you need a faster cpu and more ram

7. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Comparing cd burning to DVD burning is like comparing baseball to football. The only thing similar is you need a ball and players. CD burning and DVD burning need files and a burner. That's about all they have in common.
    DVD burning is very stressfull on a system. It requires 100% of your systems resources. With your minimal RAM and processor, you need to be sure that nothing else is running in the background. Virus programs and firewalls eat up precious MB's of RAM.
    Leaving your PC on all day is really nothing to generate heat. Running your PC at 100% for any amount of time can really build up heat quick, especially if you cooling devices aren't efficient.

8. radgoate

radgoate Guest

Thanks again. I'll run the CPU checks later and let you know what I find...