1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems solved with viper gc

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by spidernl, Feb 13, 2005.

1. spidernl

spidernl Member

Hi there,

I posted this message today....

"I bought a viper gc chip in the netherlands. I have a zilver new GC. Mario Kart was provided with the cube.
    I have exactly the same problems as described in the forum. I also send a message to the reseller yesterday with the problems.

My problem is that I can not flash the chip because the chip can not be found.

I tried the following things:

- solder and desolder...
    - checked it with a meter and the soldering seems fine
    - I checked the flat cable and it seems fine
    - I used several computers to flash but nothing worked
    - changed settings for the LPT port (adresses and in the bios of the computer)

If I look at the board it seems that I have a revision A but the soldering point black there are three points connected. This differs from the picture revision A/B

If I get an anwer from the reseller I will post it here."

I solved it .... !!! I did the following:
    - removed the chip from the Gamecube
    - downloaded cobra 0.3
    - connected directly to my lpt port the programmer
    - connected the chip to the programmer (not connected to the gamecupe)
    - flashed the chip with 0.3 and then with 0.4
    - hooked the chip on the gamecube and he did it

Good luck

Spider NL

2. ninja234

ninja234 Guest

hey where did u get ur viper modchip from and why did it do tht because im new and wana learn everything

3. spidernl

spidernl Member

hi ninja
    I got it from www.mrmod.nl
    Greetz
    Spider

4. sonnytv

sonnytv Member

Could you explain more. I tried to do it but it tells me the gc is not connected. The only way it does anything is with the chip hooked up to the gc with power on. But it doesn't seem to flash correctly because it will only wor with lid closed and I don't get any cobra bios scrren.

5. phoenixau

phoenixau Member

HI first of all if you have wired it up correctly it doesnt matter if the lid is closed or not. Firstly make sure that you board is same as the pics available
    http://www.robotpig.com/downloads/ngc/ViperGC_Wires_Install.jpg
    Once it looks perfect power up the GC and make sure that you have the programer wired directly to your LPT port. Also have you made sure that in your bios of your computer,LPT is set to ECP ?
    My GF's computer was an old AMD 700Mhz and it would not flash the Viper,so i got her laptop which was brand new and flashed no probs through that,although i did have to remove the screws from each side of the programer. If you still can not get it to work, you may have a new bios that the creators dont know about, how is your soldering? Is everything done well?

You wont get cobra screen till you flash bios as it is empty! Remember we are installing the bios on the chip, when you switch on your GC it should be normal, and the easiest way to test the lid switch is to put an original on the spindle and switch the GC on, if you have wired it correctly then it will spin and continue spinning, if not then you have not wired the lid switch correctly or something is damaged, if in doubt unsolder it and make sure GC still plays originals, its always a good start.

6. sonnytv

sonnytv Member

So should the viper bypass the lid detection switch even if it doesn't flash correctly? As far as the lid detection switch bypass toy cann't wire it wronr it is just unplug connectors and plug it in. When your girl friends cpu wouldn't flash it did it go through all the procedures in a way that seemed correct but still didn't work? My cpu is a 700 mhz with a celeron processor. Thanks for the help thus far.

Sonnytv

7. spidernl

spidernl Member

Sonny have you tried to flash it without connecting to the GC? I flashed it not connected to the GC. And I have not connected the programmer on the GC..... You only need it once to program it. So try disconnecting the programmer .

8. sonnytv

sonnytv Member

If Try it without the chip hooked to the gc I get a connection error. The Viper GC was not found! Please check the cable, the parallell port adress and that the GC is turned on. Not sure whats going on.

9. zerman

zerman Member

Hi :) I had little a problem with modchip recognition, but i already solved it. I wrote the BIOS 0.4 on the chip, compared, compared with 0.3, it accused the comparision error... everything's ok. But when start to play, it starts with original BIOS. What can it be? I know it's not soldering problems and bad connection, because i saw that a few times for now. You speak in flash the chip without it being connected to the cube. I didn't do it yet.. but isn't it the same to flash it with the cube power off? This way, it doesn't flash, get the error.

10. spidernl

spidernl Member

hi there
    I got an error when connected to the cube with the power off. I did nog get the error when connected to the LPT and not connected to the GC. Try it perhaps it works
    Spider NL