1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problems using DVDXCopy with Toshiba SD-R5002

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by diyer, Aug 11, 2003.

1. diyer

diyer Member

I used a trial ver of DVDXCopy v1.4.1 to test my new Toshiba SD-R5002 DVD burner and got results with about 3 pictures, but then test time for DXC expired I cracked it and used a pair of more times, but now I doesn't work. Begins to read the movie and at about 55% stops and gets frozen, I have to close from the task list. Any help will be appreciated...

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

3. diyer

diyer Member

OK, I've read almost everything discussed in that link, but nothing seems to be closely related to my problem. Last thing I did was update my DVD burner firmware and now will reinstall the software again, so I´d like to hear from anyone who has ever experienced something like that or has a burner like mine to know how to deal with it. Again, thanx...

4. rottweil1

rottweil1 Member

I don't know if this is really a solution for you, but you could try using DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink for ripping/compressing and DVD Decrypter and/or RecordNow Max for burning. I have a Toshiba SDR5002 as well and after updating my firmware, these programs have worked flawlessly for me.

I've never even tried DVDXCopy (I'd seen a bunch of negative comments about it on this board) so I can't help you with that. Unless you're totally set on using DVDXCopy you might want to try the programs I mentioned above.

5. diyer

diyer Member

OK, rotweil1, before I quit on DXC I'd like 2 know if your method produces an acceptable quality result, 'cuz as long as I've read the loss on video quality is visible...

6. rottweil1

rottweil1 Member

I guess it really depends on what you're looking for. I have no problem ripping menus/extra features if it means the video quality will be better as a result (less compression). If you want exact 1:1 quality and are willing to split a DVD-9 disc to 2 DVD-R's then I'm guessing DVDXCopy is the way to go - I don't know if any other programs split a disc while retaining all the menus, special features, etc.

I don't mind a slight loss of quality if I can fit a movie to 1 DVD-R. I've found DVD Shrink does a pretty good job of compressing DVD-9 discs, especially the new 3.0 version that was recently released. With some movies I can't tell a difference, while others have noticeable quality loss. It all depends on what level of compression you have to use. I should mention that I've never watched my discs on a widescreen/big screen TV though - mine is a 32"

Best thing I could suggest would be to give DVD Shrink or DVD2One a try and see what you think.

7. thefudds

thefudds Member

I'm a newbie on this forum...
    But in the last few weeks I've been trying all kinds of programs for copying DVD's...I finally settled on ANYDVD which lets me rip directly from the dvd using DVD2ONE...
    I then use COPYTODVD to burn the files..
    I'm using a P2 565 Clone with 512 meg Ram
    with a Pioneer a105 burner...a 2 hour movie
    takes me approx 1 hr. 30 min. to complete..
    So far total success with about 15 copies..
    with exceptional results......

8. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

You could probably speed that process up a little [bold]thefudds [/bold]

DVD Decrypter - 10-15 minutes
    DVD2One - 30-35 minutes
    Nero - 30 minutes

And thats on a Pioneer DVR104 , AMD 900mhz , 256 sdRam
    You have a Pioneer 105 so you should cut the burn time in half (to 15 minutes)
    Have you got a seperate DVD-Rom to rip with ? Or have you at least done the firmware to let your DVD burner rip faster than x2.5 ??

9. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Or DVD Shrink: 20mins
    Nero/record Now: 15mins

Works for me :D

10. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Yeah Chris but you have a P4 2+Gig & I'm taking it thats not a deep analysis with DVD Shrink ?
    You could at least have left the firmware for speedier ripping w/ the Pioneer-a05 bro

[bold]lol[/bold]

11. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

It actually only takes about 25-30mins including deep analysis, and that was compressing at 64% on the two towers as my user guide shows. The what now on the firmware?? ;-)