1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems when connecting laptop to LCD tv

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by loost, Mar 8, 2007.

1. loost

loost Member

I use VGA VGA-cable to connect my laptop to LG´s LCD tv.

When I turn the computer on, tv screen shows Windows logo but immediately after that tv goes to DPM (display power management) and I can´t get it out of that status...

Is it a problem of resolution or what?

2. Galonvan

Galonvan Member

When you first boot your notebook, by default, it broadcasts 640x480, 16 color out both your primary display (your built in LCD), and the external port. The moment it actually boots into windows however, it outputs whatever you have setup in the preferences. If your preferences state to set your notebook primary resolution to 1024x768 and your external port to off, you'll lose picture on the screen. There should be a display toggle button on your notebook (usually somewhere between F-8 and F-12, you'll see a little icon of a monitor). If you hold down your function button on your keyboard and hit that button, it will toggle between having just your main monitor on, both outputs on, or just the external output on. Try that.

If you can't find that button, you can also right click on your desktop and select properties. In there you can go to settings, and you should see the second monitor greyed out. Click on that monitor, and try putting a checkmark in "extend desktop", or if you want, you can go into the advanced settings and choose clone monitor if you want a duplicate of what's on your screen. Start with a low resolution on the monitor 2 (640x480), and then step it up and apply it each time until you lose picture on the TV screen. That should show you what your max capability is on the TV.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007