1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with adding memory?!?!?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by krufto, Dec 26, 2004.

1. krufto

krufto Guest

I have a pentium 3 1ghz 80gb and 156mb ram pc. I just bought a azenram pc133 256mb chip to install to make more ram but I cant seem to get it working. I have a asus motherboard with phoenix technologies bios and on the board it only has 2 slots for memory and there both filled up 1 has a pc133 128mb chip and the other a pc125 128mb. So iI removed 1 and replaced it with the 256mb but when it loads up it hangs on the blue hp screen. I also tried putting it in every order and way possible but it still does the same thing. If anyone knows whats wrong id appreciate their help.

thx

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

they don't make pc125 ram, they make pc66,100,133sdram

3. krufto

krufto Guest

Your wrong i checked it and it is pc125 sdram 128mb.

4. ddp

than you have an oddball stick of ram or it is a typo error from manufacturer. which 128 did you leave with 256

Last edited: Dec 26, 2004
  5. Divinus

Divinus Guest

Did you try the 256MB itself? Try it with both sticks of 128MB? Try it in different slots? Also, I'm guessing since it gets to your blue HP screen that the motherboard does accept the memory (if it didn't it'd be beeping and raising hell). The hanging could be a number of things, though.

I'd do what I listed about and check the 258MB by itself and then if it works check it with each 128MB ram and see if that produces any better results.

6. krufto

krufto Guest

I tried that way and everyway possible but it still doesnt work?!?!

7. krufto

krufto Guest

And another thing is that when it hangs on the blue hp screen i cant press anything like to go to the bios?!?!?

8. ddp

is the memory single sided or double sided

9. krufto

krufto Guest

If you mean the gold stuff is on both sides then yes.

10. ddp

memory chips on both sides or one side. is memory ecc or non ecc

11. krufto

krufto Guest

Ok im sure that i found the problem. Futureshop gave me false advertisment in there paper they show the azenram pc133 256mb chip with 8 memory chips on each side (16 total), but the 1 they gave me only has 4 on each side (8 total). Does anyone know for sure if this is my problem because the other 2 memory chips in my pc have 16 chips total not 8.

12. krufto

krufto Guest

Ok im sure that i found the problem. Futureshop gave me false advertisment in there paper they show the azenram pc133 256mb chip with 8 memory chips on each side (16 total), but the 1 they gave me only has 4 on each side (8 total). Does anyone know for sure if this is my problem because the other 2 memory chips in my pc have 16 chips total not 8.

13. krufto

krufto Guest

14. krufto

krufto Guest

15. ddp

possibility might be your problem but might not be false advertising, phone them about problem of ram not working on your system & see if they would put a working one in that boots system ok for free but have both your ram in system working before take to store & bring home old stick for backup

16. krufto

krufto Guest

Ok now i got new ram thats compatible but when i starts up the screen stays black then it beeps like 1-3-3-1. Can any help plz im losing my patience!

17. krufto

krufto Guest

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS?!?!

18. ddp

still might be ram, reseat ram & repower system, post results, also system is slow this past few days as trying to get on so patiance

19. krufto

krufto Guest

I put it in a million times in a million ways and it stil doesnt work?!?! What do you mean by repower system?

20. ddp

disconnect power cable or turn switch off on powersupply as some boards are still powered even when windows shuts down