1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with Broadband

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Biglad, Jul 15, 2003.

1. avitron

avitron Guest

Praetor It's On Every Homepage

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

maybe it clears its cache as it loads up

3. mrmont

mrmont Guest

well seems as were on about broadband problems ive had quite a few like freezing, takes 30 seconds to load each page, very slow downloads ping in the 800s, and what it was causing it was a house 3 doors up had adsl installed and the engineer fragged it on to my line, it took 3 months to sort the problem and i was compinsated 6 months free

another thing when i do a virtual trace on BT it traces it back to there office and it tells me all the connection speeds and it shows MIDBAND coming from my house and not BROADBAND any one know why that is?

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Is midband not just where you are on the range of broadband. People assume broadband is anything over 128K, such as NTL's broadband 128K connection speed. However, 128K to 256K is still in the midband range. Only access speeds over 512K can be referred to as Broadband. I wold love someone to point out that to NTL

5. mrmont

mrmont Guest

well thanks oriphus but i thought i was on bt 512kb broadband so 512kb is midband and anything over is broadband? or should i be on broadband??? thanks again

6. mrmont

mrmont Guest

well thanks oriphus but i thought i was on bt 512kb broadband so 512kb is midband and anything over is broadband? or should i be on broadband??? thanks again

7. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Actually if you want to be technical broadband doesn't have anything to do with the speed of the connection. What broadband really means is using a broad range of frequencies to carry multiple data signals. For example DSL uses the lower frequencies for the voice signal and the higher frequencies for the data signal. The fact that both "data" signals are carried simultaneously by the same wire is what makes it broadband. Regular telephone modems use a carrier signal to Normal modem signals only carry one data signal on a single wire making them narrowband.

If you are using the more common, but technically incorrect, meaning of the word there is no set speed that qualifies as broadband. As a networking instructor I've seen half a dozen or more different versions of what speed qualifies as broadband and since this is not even the real meaning of the word all of them are equally valid. In other words, used in this context it's more of a marketing term than anything else.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2003
  8. mrmont

mrmont Guest

thanks for that run down on how everything works, but the question i asked is im paying for adsl from BT at 512kbs which is refered to by BT as broadband but when i do a trace on my connection it is coming up as midband surely thats a trades description act so i was wondering have i got midband or broadband? thanks

9. vurbal

My point was that broadband as your using the term has no actual definition, and midband would just be what your provider calls your connection. Once again no definition. The reason they call it midband is probably to distinguish it from their really high speed offerings that are sold to businesses. In other words what you have is a high speed consumer connection which they don't qualify as broadband, but in terms of consumer internet connections it definitely is.

10. mrmont

mrmont Guest

im pleased you cleared that thanks vurbal...

11. vurbal

No problem. ;-)