1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with Burning Ritek Ridata G04 Grade A 4X DVD-R 4.7GB White Inkjet Printable (Ridata Hub Branded) Blank Media

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sjg1999xp, Nov 14, 2004.

1. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

I just got my Ritek Ridata G04 Grade A 4X DVD-R 4.7GB White Inkjet Printable (Ridata Hub Branded) Blank Media in and my first three burns have very bad quality and I Burned at 2 speed and they are branded. My settings were exactly the same as when I used the same exact Ritek Ridata G04 Grade A 4X DVD-R 4.7GB hub brnaded media, I did about 300 dvd's and had liek 1 or 2 coasters. I am using a Liteon SOHW 832s, is it possible I got a bad batch or is there another brand of printable media that I can get,it is just weird that the only difference is that these are printable but is the same media which I never had a problem with. I am going to return these but I need them to be printable, i just got my epson r200 printer and want to give it a try. Thanks Steve

2. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

Sorry, I left this out, I been using DVD shrink with all my burns and have the correct settings that I got from Scuba Pete in the past, custom 4300, etc and have had no problem up to now. Now with my new Ritek Ridata G04 Grade A 4X DVD-R 4.7GB White Inkjet Printable (Ridata Hub Branded) Blank Media, I am running into problems. Thanks Steve G.

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi sjg1999xp,

First, try another brand of media i.e. Buy a couple of Sony, TDK, Maxell +R's OR Philips +R's and see if there's a difference before we move on -

Cheers,

Pete

4. nathug

nathug Member

I have had exactly the same problems. I've tried them on my external Lacie drive with my Dell laptop, and on my new Sony Vaio. Same results. Near the end of my movies the discs are bad. I'm on my 3rd pack of discs. Going to switch back to the shiny kind, no problems there, not one coster.

Has anyone solved the problem?

Nathan

5. xrm454

xrm454 Guest

Hey pete got my matte go4's and WoW burn baby burn LoL !! NOW i'm thinking of making a large media order. I've been looking around the forum's and remembering your media statment I'm looking for a informed opinion. :) I ordered from meritline and want to again. there go5 8x's are a awesome price but I heard on here some people having problems. (I usally let nero check speed) and @ http://www.digitalfaq.com/thisweek.htm
    they say the go4's are'nt doing so well?? also I think you said the azo ink was good and meritline has some at a real good price. re:
    GreatAZO 4X DVD-R 4.7GB Blank Media (High Quality AZO Dye) General Purpose DVDR Disc (Disk), $0.26 each

so what do you think?? I plan on buying 100 - 200 of something just not sure which.

Thanx and dont worry I'm not going anywheres
    LoL :)
    p.s. meritline has cdr's arita (ritex) 50 pack 9$ free after mail in rebate

6. nathug

nathug Member

Meritlines customer service sucks!! May be they should move it to the states and not India.

I had the Ink Jet Ritek with the same problems, they told me it was my Firmware, on 3 computer I told them, one 1 day old. Then they accused me of not checking if the media was compatable with my burner, on their own website it says they will work in my burners. Then I asked for the replacemnets before Christmas, they guy had no idea when that was. And he had the balls to say he was a professional.

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey xrm454,

Listen up, Great AZO suckth in a big way, treat them like the plague. I tested 175 of them and had about a 13% of them fail. Turn coaster on me. It was defiantly a disc problem with the discs, not a pple problem. I use RiData and haven't had a problem in over 300 of them and counting. The Verbatim Metal AZO are a little costly but excellent. Maxell +R are OK but don't touch the -R discs. I've read that Ritek G04'S were supposed to be expecting problems BUT none of my pple have reported any problems at all to date.

Personally, I think that $.26 ea is too high a price for crappy media. You say that you like the G04's So, why not buy them ? ?

Decide for yourself what you wish to buy -

Pete

nathug,

Sorry you had trouble with Mertline. They've been excellent in my dealing with them. Newegg.com is another company I've dealt with and have been happy with their service. Both of them have a good return policy. I suggest you try one until you're happy with one.

Cheers,

Pete

8. swervin

swervin Regular member

The Maxell DVD-R, yellow tops are great disks. I checked them and they are made by Taio Yuden, which is probably one of the best disk makers, according to what I read about them. I highly recommend the yellow top Maxell DVD-R disk to anyone. Not one bad burn with them yet.

Mike

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Mike,

You better re-check your discs. Maxell +R discs are the only ones made by TY.

All other Maxells (All of the -R's) are made by Hitachi Maxell Ltd. with Dye types listed as "Unknown".

Once again, Maxell +R = Good
    Maxell -R = Terrible

Pete

Source: http://www.mediamatch.de/medien.php

10. swervin

swervin Regular member

Does this help?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:TYG01]
    Disc Type : [DVD-R]
    Manufacturer ID : [TYG01]
    Manufacturer Name : [Taiyo Yuden Co. Ltd.]
    Disc Application Code : [Unrestricted Use : Consumer Purpose]
    Recording Speeds : [1x , 2x , 4x] (8x Cannot Be Detected)
    Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3MB = 4.38GB (4.71GB)]
    [DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com]

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

It would seem that some -R's are recently being made by TY. I stand PARTIALLY corrected. Please use Media match by itself and look up -R's. You will see that Disc Identifier lists them as I have stated.

Check it out - :)

I get my information from the same place.

For those who don't have MediaMatch, here are the directions and the link -

MEDIAMATCH DIRECTIONS

use "WorldLingo" and BableFish" to translate the German to English :)

If you don't have those, all you have to know is -

Down in the lower right-hand corner, under "Erweiterte Suche" you'll see "Offerer:" where you look for your disc's name and, under that "Hersteller:" which means Manufacturer. Select one OR the other to use.. To the right of those you'll see an arrow and the word, "Anzeigen" which means Next - Again, choose the disc's name OR the manufacturer and click "next". On the next page, you'll see a group of media, select which media you wish to check up on and click the arrow with the "search icon" on the right and that will supply you with a break-down of each disc, i.e.,Dye and Manufacturer, in the DataBase..

After all of that, enough will be in English so that you won't have that much trouble -

http://www.mediamatch.de/showdvdanbieter.php

Pete

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  12. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

i know this post is a couple of weeks old but i wanted to add my 2 cents also. the first blank media i ever bought was memorex dvd-rw. i personally haven't had any playback problems w/ them out of the 10 or so i've done. but other people who i've burned them for say they have had problems on their players. as for the maxell dvd-r's, i bought a 15 pack of them and haven't had a single problem w/ burning or playback. and btw, mine are also Taiyo Yuden (TYG01). guess i got lucky. but my latest purchase was a 50 pk of verbatim dvd-r ($20 @ best buy. sweet!) haven't tried them yet (still have a couple maxell's left)but have high hopes.

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Generally it was the Maxell +R's that were made by TY, most of the -R's were made by CNC

as for your Memorex RW, re-writeable discs they aren't too bad, it's the -/+R's that put you in touch with your trashcan :(

Cheers all :)

14. offset

offset Regular member

I'm a little late with this, but I would like to put a good word in for Meritline's Great AZO DVD+R discs. I'm on my third 100 pack, and I have only had 2 bad burns (No...I'm not shitting you). I have a Lite-On 401s & 411s DVD burner, and I burn the disks at 4x. The Great AZO disks work great for me on DVD back-ups, but they fall way short on my PS2 back-ups. I have switched to Maxell DVD+R discs for my PS2 games, and I have had a very high success rate.

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

@ offset,

I too have tested Great AZO, 150+ discs and had a failure rate of about 13%. Secondly, I am concerned about their memory. There are major retention issues with all discs, DVD's and CD's but most especially the "cheap" ones, AND, let's face it, Great AZO are as cheap as you can get.

My dear old Mom used to say, "You get what you pay for." but in this case - it's what you don't get !

I'm talking about the life of a backup made on an "el cheapo" disc[/i]. We all know that data, music and video backups on CD's and DVD's will last forever, well, if not forever for at least 100 yrs or so - That's what we've read and I believed and that's why we backup our treasures to disc, so that they'll be safe. "BLAaaaT" (the bone chilling sound of an emergency air horn), Wrong, Dead Wrong ! Don't throw the originals away, you may very well need them. Your video camera tapes and family picture CD's and DVD's, may not be there the next time you want to look at them. "Point of fact," inferior discs have a tendency to "Break down]" in time. In a very short time, we're talking disc can breakdown in less than a single year, in as little as 6 to 8 months.

This article was written about CD discs but DVD discs are exactly the same. I was miss-informed and this opened my eyes. Perhaps you'll find it as important as I did.
    http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/story.jsp?story=513486

My personal observations on this subject -

I have had about 40 backups that have refused to play after being stored for a year or more. I test all of my backups when they are burnt to be very sure that there are no problems. "In the Golden, Olden times," before I knew any better, the Memorex, Maxell's and professional "Store Brand" discs (and any thing that was on sale) was what used before I switched to Ritek, RICOH and Verbatim (Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.).

It is the poor quality stuff that I have been experiencing my trouble with. I noticed that backup DVD's I had, refused to play in my standalone player and on my PC. VOB files wouldn't play either and other discs that I backed up about the same time would "Freeze" part way through the movie. After switching to Verbatim and Ritek's, mostly the Ritek's because the price was right, I've not had 1 go "Flat" in over 1 ½ years. I still have some backups about 90 of them done on the "cheap stuff" and, as time wears on I lose a few more as I attempt to check them. I say to you, why did a backup play fine the end of "02"and "03" then "fail" in "04 ?? Some that were done in "03" never made it till "04" (it took me some time to learn, lol) Most of my backups from around March of "03" were done on the "good Stuff" and they still work fine today - not a single failure ! What about now ? Well in a very short time when the calendar changes to 2005, I'm going to run the rest of them through. It's been too long and I don't want to run the risk that I've lost an original OR one has been borrowed and never returned (like that's never happened, Huh ?). I want my discs back and 005 is the year -

Don't go through what I did, protect your investment.

Cheers,

Pete

BTW, my burners are HP200j, NEC ND 1300A, Pioneer 107 8X (hacked to burn 4X at 8X)

16. brobear

brobear Guest

AZO as in Mitsubishi which makes a lot of the Verbatim. They also make media for Sony, TDK, Maxell, Fuji and other name brands. This looks more like a thread for DVD R Media instead of the Newbie section.

17. brobear

brobear Guest

Forgot to mention, Ritek changed the dye on the G04s and some people have been complaining. Some are going to the 4X +R Ritek-RiData and others are trying the 8X media. The 4X +R was Ricohjpn coded and some of the newer media carries a Ritek code. So, the judgement is still out on those as well. The Ricoh is some very good media.

18. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Did I mention I used these personally ? Bought them, identified them burned them and made a mobile out os the 30 or so coasters -

Nephilim was in on my experience - he laughed himself silly -

It would be interesting to see who does make them now.

When I used them, this past spring, they were farmed out to 12 different companies with not one of any name we ever heard of -

Before you go posting I suggest you put one on DVD Identifier as I did and verify the Mfgr.

Cheers,

Pete

19. brobear

brobear Guest

Why do I get the feeling GREAT AZO used that name to cash in on the reputation that Mitsubishi built using Azo dyes to make their quality media? From what everyone says, the Great Azo media is crap. Right Pete?

20. offset

offset Regular member

Thanks ScubaPete. I suspect you may be quite right about longevity of Meritline's Great AZO. When I was speaking about my success rate with my back-ups, I should have stated that my success pertained to movies that don't skip or freeze. Most of my movies have been burned relatively recently, so it will be interesting to see how long they actually last. Now when I back-up my movies, I put the date on them. I have an assortment of different DVD brands, and it will be interesting to see how long each of them will last. In a year or two, I might have one of the best "Coaster Collections" around. If I do end up with the coaster collection, I welcome all to come view the "Shrine of failed DVD's" (no charge to any member of the afterdawn.com forms). Wish me luck...lol

Last edited: Jan 22, 2005