1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with Burning Ritek Ridata G04 Grade A 4X DVD-R 4.7GB White Inkjet Printable (Ridata Hub Branded) Blank Media

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sjg1999xp, Nov 14, 2004.

1. offset

offset Regular member

Hey Pete,

I took your advice and ran the disks through the DVD Identifier. The company that makes the Great AZO is "Interaxia AG". Have you (or anyone else) ever hear of this company?

Thanks...

Dale

2. brobear

brobear Guest

I putter around the databases and that is one you don't see listed very often. I'll put it in a group with Digital Disc Dessau, manufacturer of Lazer. Guess what the title for that group would be? Wonder who makes khypermedia? Add Memorex's CMC and you have a good start on the "Whose Who" of the questionable DVD brands and manufacturers list.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2005
  3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

@ Dale,

Run that company's name in the "advanced search" and you'll find those "numerous" companies I mentioned - somewhere around the number I mentioned - all unheard of -

Use at your own risk . . .

Bear, check them out . . .

They were in fact "playing" off of the name that Verbatim built. When Verbatim gave up the "AZO" tag to begin using the "Advanced AZO," that's when "great AZO" blossomed -

My experience . . . beware

Cheers,

Pete

4. brobear

brobear Guest

Pete
    Some of the questions were a bit rhetorical. It's amazing these companies are still using name association to sell their inferior products. With the hype in the media it confuses the consumer. Finally, when the consumer finds out what's happened, he is irate. However when dealing with companies of this sort, the consumer most always comes out the loser. I wish more could be done to inform people of some of the shady things going on. Seems the consumer protection groups are letting a lot of this type merchandise come in under the radar. If nothing else they should get them for false advertising; Great Azo is not great. LOL

5. offset

offset Regular member

Since I am holding my head down in shame of purchasing several spindles of the "Great AZO" DVD+R disks, I thought I could get a few opinions of another type of cheap media I have purchased. How does BeAll compare to some the other media out there? Like the Great AZO, I burned one hundred disks (no skipping or freezing) successfully. I do understand that all these movies may be unplayable in a few years (give or take). Maybe I might get lucky with a few of them. Any constructive input would be appreciated.

Thanks guys...

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

My suggestion is to "check" your dvd's every 6 months or so to make sure you're not losing any.

As Bear said - media is something that isn't but should be controlled. PPle are getting screwed everyday.

The question you should ask is - Why does one disc cost $.45ea and another $.24 and another less still.

Too bad it doesn't hold true all over. Memorex relies on their years and years of good name and their discs cost more than those we have named BUT all but 10% of Memorex are made by inferior companies with a dye of unknown origin. GO FIGURE !

As for BeAll, -

Manufacturer's code: BEAllG001
    Manufacturer: BeAll Developers, Inc..
    Dye type: Unknown ~ ~> Not good
    Version: 2.0
    Data capacity: 4.70 GB
    Video capacity: 120 minutes (standard

Why did I say that unknown dye was a warning to watch ? Mfgrs LOVE to bragg about the Dye / Appliacation that they use. When it changes often OR isn't all that good THEN it says :Unknown".

The last thing, but many consider the most important, is the Mfgr. There are several Mfgrs that we trust. I base my judgement about 75% on that alone -

Taiyo Yuden's and generally, almost any discs manufactured by Mitsubish, Riteki or RICOH are excellent bets.

Cheers,

Pete

7. brobear

brobear Guest

Well, BeAll makes their own. Not familiar with that one. I find it amazing, with all the sales, that people pursue low cost unknown brands. I constantly find name brand merchandise on sale at different stores and sites.

I researched a manufacturer that I've found to make a disc that works great on my PC. Ricoh. The Ricoh brand or one of many top brands that sell the Ricohjpn coded media have all been good. Memorex (now CMC and a poor choice), Fuji, Imation, Maxell, Ritek-RiData, and Verbatim are just a few of the brands that sell (or sold) the 4X +R media I like to use for recording DVD movies.

Many brands, including some that manufacture some of their own products, change suppliers for particular items. But for finding sales and getting top grade merchandise, I've found knowing who the manufacturer is (or was recently) to be helpful and so far I've not gotten into any bad buys. Well one, I was one of the first to find out Memorex had switched to CMC for the 4X +R and I kept the small amount for a try.

The top brands sometimes use more than one of the top manufacturers, i.e. names like Mitsubishi, Taiyo Yuden, Ricoh, Ritek, and Pioneer can be associated with the codes on many name brands. Sometimes I get surprised, but as long as it is something from one of the top manufacturers, I can live with it. After all, it could have been khypermedia or CMC or some unknown when dealing with obscure brands.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2005
  8. offset

offset Regular member

Well...the Great AZO that I was swearing by failed me. Might as well tell me my wife left me for an older and more hairy woman. A moment of silence please...(enough of that).

I was backing up "Scooby Doo 2" for my kids (yeah...my kids watch it...not me) with the Great AZO, and the movie turned out pixilated. I tried a second time burning at a lower speed, and the movie was still pixilated, but just not as bad. I found a Ricoh DVD+R that came with my burner and used that for the third burn, and it came out perfect. A lot of work for a shitty movie.

No more cheap-ass media for me. I just purchased a 100 pack of Taiyo Yuden DVD+R's for about $58.00 shipped. The disks are 1x-8x and both my burners are 4x, but I prefer to burn my movies no faster than 4x. So I'm looking forward to seeing how these work out. Thank you brobear and ScubaPete for your input, and if these disks don't work out for me, I'll be on a quest to find each of you for the refund. Just kidding...

Thanks again guys.

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

TY's for $.58 ea. Good deal !

I'll tell you what the Bear will tell you, you put a TY in and fry that and you will - in fact - see a difference. They burn like a "bad Dog".

Catch ya later all . . .

10. brobear

brobear Guest

[bold]TYs for 40 cents. Sale Over.[/bold]

I'll have to call Mr. Ranger, the bear hunting season is over. LOL As long as they're top line branded TY, you should have no problems. I just purchased a large quantity recently and am pleased with the product.

I got mine on sale for about $40 a hundred spindle, including shipping, just before Christmas at BestBuy.com. They were the Fuji 8X +R manufactured by TY. I placed 2 orders for the 4X +R (usually Ricoh) and received the TYs for one of them. Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I kept them and they work great. Ricoh is my favorite, because I've used those for the longest without problems. But, from personal experience, I don't see any difference in quality between my favorite (Ricoh) and the TY media. Usually the prices are higher on the TY.

11. offset

offset Regular member

12. brobear

brobear Guest

Meritline has a decent rep for customer service and merchandise. So, hopefully you get a good batch. Let us know how they work out when you get them.

13. offset

offset Regular member

[bold]Will do...[/bold]

14. offset

offset Regular member

I bought a 50 pack of Verbatim from Sam's Club for 23 dollars, and they are working great. My 100 pack of Taiyo Yuden (non-branded) came in the mail, and they are working great as well. I think my might take the rest of the Great AZO's to the bathroom and wipe my ass with them (but they wouldn't even be good for that).

Later guys

15. brobear

brobear Guest

Wonder who manufactured the Verbatim? I purchased some 4X +R Verbatim from Sam's and they turned out to be Ricohjpn coded. Good media.

16. offset

offset Regular member

I checked using DVDinfo, and Mitsubishi manufactured the disks.

17. brobear

brobear Guest

MCC has a good rep in manufacturing recordable media. I'm surprised more of the Verbatim isn't MCC, they are related companies. Did you know CMC also makes some of the Verbatim media? That's the manufacturer that dropped Memorex's standing as a quality media. Luckily, CMC doesn't make much of the Verbatim and what they do tends to be the cheaper end of the line.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2005