1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with CONVERTXTODVD

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by alex741, Feb 15, 2008.

1. alex741

alex741 Member

I've been burining .avi files with my new PC using CONVERTXTODVD 2.2.3.258. The computer runs VISTA and has a TSST TS-H653N Dvd burner. Now the problem is that the media that I burn on turns out skipping, stopping and pixelates a lot. I thought it was the blank media I was using, but the same media on the same program CONVERTXTODVD on a different PC (running XP) burns the avi files just fine. Would it have something to do with the settings in VSO?
    I have encoding set at High Quality / Slow and Image Processing at DeInterleave. Any thoughts?

2. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

In the other PC, you have a different burner. Different burners, write differently on the same disc. Same burner writes differently if you use different firmware.
    Is your burner's firmware up to date?

What media are you using and how fast are you burning?

3. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Why have you chosen 'DeInterleave'?

4. alex741

alex741 Member

Yes the burners are different but the new one I'm using is a brand new PC. I'm assuming the firmware is pretty up to date. I'm using Memorex blanks burning at at all speeds 4, 8, 12, 16 all give the same result. And I know...Memorex sucks, but on my older PC they were working just fine, same avi, same media, same software. The DeInterleave was pre-checked, would this affect the burning result?

5. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Yes, you migh have the latest firmware available for your burner. However, I wasn't hinting at old firmware vs. new firmware, but "compatible" vs "incompatible". You can have a disc/burner combination, and no matter what firmware that burner has, it will not be compatible with that media, not even with firmware from the future, and it will yield poor quality burns or not burn at all.

The problem with Memorex(CMC.Mag) and any other notorious media is compatibility, or rather incompatibility issues that they have with many burners, no matter what firmware is used with those burners.
    If you live in US and close by one,OfficeMax has 100pk X16 DVD+/-R Verbatims on sale for $20. Go get yourself some.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  6. alex741

alex741 Member

Why is it that the same media that I've burnt and played on my home DVD player skips, but it plays just fine on my PC? Would a new DVD player solve this solution? The one I have is 6 years old, but it only started doing this with the newly burnt media from my new PC.

7. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Your DVD drive in your PC and the standalone player have different lasers, they read the discs differently. Some are pickier, some are stronger. Playback on a computer drive does not guarantee playback on a standalone player.
    A 6 years player, depending on the make and how much you used it, is pretty old. You can buy excellent players for less than $40.
    Before you blame the player, buy ddifferent discs for the new burner.
    If that burner's firmware doesn't use the proper writing strategies for the discs that you have now, you'll just keep getting poor burns.

8. alex741

alex741 Member

Thanks, you mentioned Verbatim. Is there any other brands that are good for the TSST TS-H653N drives or better yet how can I find out which are compatible?

9. MysticE

MysticE Active member

10. alex741

alex741 Member

Thanks MysticE, I DL the update and did the check but it did not need to be replaced. I'm thinking this particular drive just isn't friendly with sub-par media.