1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problems with Dazzle and STOIK

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by dmerrick, Jan 5, 2011.

1. dmerrick

dmerrick Regular member

I recently copied a number of home VHS tapes to DVD using Dazzle and it seemed to go well. I did notice occasionally that the voice and picture were out of sinc but it was not a significant issue at the time.

I used to teach and I have some VHS tapes I used in class and I want to pass them on. I have tried to copy a couple of production VHS tapes and the picture and audio are way out of sinc.

I have tried to copy them with STOIK using the Dazzle hardware and also using the Pinnacle software that comes with the Dazzle hardware. Either way audio and picture are out of sinc.

I need some help to take care of this issue.

I have heard that if you use STOIK Capturer and go directly from the VHS player to your computer that this will work. I have no idea how to hook STOIK directly to my computer.

I am also wondering if there is a program that I can use to edit the DVD's I copied to get the voice and picture back in sinc.

2. attar

attar Senior member

How far out of sync.
    Is it the same throughout or progressively worse.

If it's the same, you can figure out by how much by playing it with MPC.
    Press Plus or Minus on the keypad to see what factor it needs to come into sync.

PgcDemux can separate out the audio and video.
    MuxMan allows you to insert a delay of + or - 300 milliseconds in the audio and creates a new DVD.

I think the payware VideoRedo will do it easier.

If the async varies, it's more complex.
    In this case, you may find the audio and video are different lengths.
    MediaInfo may show this.

You have to figure out the delay (plus or minus) by the end of the video, then demux the audio.
    The Likes of Audacity can compress or stretch the audio to match the video (keeping the pitch the same).

3. dmerrick

dmerrick Regular member

It is significantly out of sync. It gets progressively worse. It is an 8 minute video and the video stops while there is still audio running. I will try your suggestions to see if I can figure it out.

I would love to find a way to copy VHS tapes without having to worry about the audio and video being out of sync.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  4. attar

attar Senior member

5. dmerrick

dmerrick Regular member