1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with DVD freezing

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by mnht1, Feb 12, 2005.

1. mnht1

mnht1 Member

So far I have had this same problem with two DVD players. I recently purchased a JVC XV-NP10S in the hope that it would fix the problem. I have tried many different DVD's so I know it is not a disk issue. The frame will freeze at intermittant times throughout the movie and sometimes small boxes will appear on the screen. It looks almost as if the player is having a hard time decoding the material. It always starts back up again but it is still very annoying. We also have a 42 inch widescreen HD tv, new stereo system, receiver and surge protector. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. bardie

bardie Regular member

Are the movies you talk about burnt or factory ones?

3. mnht1

mnht1 Member

They are all factory movies.

4. bardie

bardie Regular member

Sounds like the machine is faulty, as if you can play no movie without problems then I could only think it is faulty.

5. mnht1

mnht1 Member

I guess it is just our bad luck to have two DVD players be bad in a row. This is the first time we have had a progressive scan DVD player, would that have ANYTHING to do with it?

6. bardie

bardie Regular member

To be honest, I don't know.
    But it is weird that you have had the same issue with two different machines.

7. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I've had that problem a couple of years back and it was a heat issue. If I kept the glass door closed on the Television stand, it would heat up and do just what you have suggested. Is your Player in an enclosed stand?

8. mnht1

mnht1 Member

The player is in a stand but the door is never shut when it is playing (you wouldn't be able to work the remote since it is on a side with no glass in the door)I dug out my manual and changed the picture mode to process at a different level, one specifically designed for film. I am watching LOTR Return fo the King now and so far it hasn't done it since I switched that. Did your stop doing it when you stopped having the door shut?

9. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Exactly. That was with a previous DVD player that I had. If I kept the door shut, the heat build up from the Amplifier, VCR and the DVD Player got to the player for some reason. I have a different player and have moved it to the top shelf of my stand, but old habits die hard and I still keep the door cracked a bit. I hope that all goes well and let us know the final result of your changes.